Pre made Shellac cabochons/3D art ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

depths

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've just watched Jeni Smith's tutorial on YouTube on how to make cabochons out of shellac, however I'm wondering if there is a way to premake this type of thing so it's like a sticker to be used when a client wants one (hope that makes sense) ? Also if so how long could they be stored for?

If you search YouTube for "FingernailFixer" she has some videos of making decals on plastic bags from Shellac. She paints the design on the bag, cures and peels them off. I'm sure you could use the same technique to make the cabs. If you use a hard gel, they would be more durable but you would have to build them on a curved surface as they would be less flexible.
As for storage, maybe those weekly pill containers? Or an empty rhinestone wheel?
I'd love to know how they turn out, it's a really cool design!

Hi. Just watched that too. What a fab video..could anyone recommend the best detailing brush to use when re creating this effect please. I have the nail art brush set from S2 but feel I could do with a firmer brush, to make it neater when painting the circles to press the foils onto? Thanks :)

Hi all,
I've just watched Jeni Smith's tutorial on YouTube on how to make cabochons out of shellac, however I'm wondering if there is a way to premake this type of thing so it's like a sticker to be used when a client wants one (hope that makes sense) ? Also if so how long could they be stored for?

Yes you can but it is fiddly and time consuming and I am not sure it saves much time. I have been decorating the cabochons, but earlier today I wanted a foil one. I tried glueing the foil onto the stone and that was a disaster, I always use E6000 glue, but it dulled the foil. I couldn't use the inhibition layer as you have to do these in reverse. So I made a decal using a nail form. I did a full shellac in Purple Purple, and using foil glue applied the foil to decal. Then applied a top coat to decal. I applied a coat of Zillionaire to the stone, cured for two minutes, applied decal (slightly small than the stone so I had a margin) to the tacky layer of Zillionaire on stone, applied a coat of PP, cured, and finished with top coat. I have no idea of the staying power, but I can't see me bothering with a decal again. Unless there is a short cut that I missed.
Even if you did make a decal you will still to add time for finishing the ring and time for the glue to dry when you stick the stone to the ring blank.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back