Pre-Pig Inbetween Foils...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarah_clancy

Reaction score
Pre-Pig Inbetween Foils...

I wanted to pick all your brains on the easiest best effective way.

My client is full head bleach.
Were aiming to do a full head of foils lots of them with conditioner
and colour inbetween level 5 or 6

Which is going to be the best way without ruining the foils!

Usually I would mix lots of warmth in with the base, but its not going to last her aslong.

So would you use a coloured mousse and dry in after doing the foils?

Thanks in advance
xox

I dont like to prepig blondes, because when they see you putting all that red/orange into their blonded hair they kinda freak....start asking questions, breathing hard...etc

I cheat and use my grey coverage line, and drop the developer to 10 vol

3 reasons.
*Preblended - your warmth is in there, but they dont have to see it:green:
*extra staying power as the first app on very porous hair tends to fade
* time is money hunnybunny

Works like a charm, especially well on the medium to light browns.

Lovely thanks for that, it does make sense.
So would you mix with base still?
And it wont fade as much either??
xox

No, dont mix with base....just select desired shade and apply for 30 min process, 10 min for cuticle manipulation, 20 min for full deposit.
You will find you dont get the drop, or drabbing of color as the prepig falls out.

im confused, so using the grey coverage range... what if client wants a flat brown, you couldnt just use a natural? you would still use something with warmth?

If you have a seperate, preblended 'meant for grey coverage' it is formulated with a different ammonia content. My salon uses Redken, so I have Shades for semi, Gels for permanent, and Coverfusion meant specifically for 50% or more grey.

CF is a stronger formulation, it already has the warmth added that grey or blonded out hair lacks, and the level is intensified while tones are muted to reduce vibrancy at the root. Takes the guesswork out of zones and gives even coverage root to end.

Yeah I know what you mean, Matrix do a similar range 'Grey'naturals'... So if I was taking my client to a level 5, I could use a 'natural' in that range (or any desired shade), and not have to mix it with any red?
sorry if im sounding stupid, but I like the idea of what your saying and would love to use it on my clients!
xox

I had matrix in my salon for 5 years, just switched to reken last year. Note about gt'naturals....very green/gold base! So modify....
Knowing this color line, if you were going to mix for a 4oz bowl ( 2oz color/2 oz developer) I would use 1/4 oz 505w , 1/4 oz 506r,and 1 1/2oz 505......20 - 30 min with 10vol.

with redken, you dont need to add the tone....but Matrix will drab quickly, so yes, splash it with warmth.

I too have wondered about doing this with the colour supreme line from loreal over bleached hair. It came to me as a thaught as its for colouring white hair and bleach is white? Am I getting the right idea here? x

You are right on the money:green: literally.

The great thing about knowing your color laws, keeping refreshed on theory, and choosing a line and sticking to it, is that you learn to bend it at will.

I got tired of attending generic color classes that show you how to lay a new foiling patter, when I want to learn things that I can put to use. Troubleshooting color is my passion, and just came away dissapointed when I have called in the past with color mishaps.

It has been my experience that what the maunfacturer says a color will do is grossly exaggerated ( high lift, grey coverage)...and they certainly dont always teach the practical, efficient methods we have taught ourselves thru trial and error. I rarely agree with the color tech's explainations.

So run with it. Share what you know, and dont be scared to try a new thought! For every ten that fail, one will work :green:

Thanks for the advice, yes I am glad that this came up on here I had actualy forgotten about the idea untill I saw this. Thanks again x

Latest posts

Back