Prescribing Botox for nurses and beauty therapists

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AMO

Reaction score
Hi all,

Can anyone offer any pearls of wisdom and where best to find the 'official' stance on prescribing of Botox. I have contacted the NMC but, not surprisingly, they chose not to answer the direct question!

Without getting into the who should and who shouldn't be administering debate, I am interested to know if, as a prescriber prescribing Botox for another Botox trained nurse or beautician we should be specifying units to be used in each area?

Does anyone know where to find any official advice/rules from the NMC or RCN on prescribing for beauty therapists please?

My concern is obviously that nurse prescribers only ever prescribe in a hospital etc for other nurses to administer the medication. So where do nurse
prescribers stand when prescribing for BTs? However, my other thought is that the prescriber is prescribing for the client, the prescription belongs to them! So surely it is entirely their decision on who they choose to administer it? We often discharge patients on injectable medication that they have to administer themselves or for someone close to administer.

I have also clarified the recent statement from Hamilton Fraser and the original one was incorrect.
They say they have issued the second one stating that nurses can be insured (providing they are following the NMC guidelines) to administer Botox providing the client has undergone the face to face consultation with the prescriber!

Thanks guys

The mhra have all the relevant information on their website.

I have raised this issue with this doctor personally. She is being mistaken on what an appropriate prescriber is. A nurse prescriber can prescribe, administer and direct someone else to administer botox and any other medicine they are competent to prescribe.

Please do not think you need to get a doctor into your botox clinic

Thanks for that smooth however it was not my opinion as you may have interpreted it but the relevant section extracted from the mhra website.

Thanks for that smooth however it was not my opinion as you may have interpreted it but the relevant section extracted from the mhra website.

2. Who is an appropriate practitioner?
A doctor, a dentist or, subject to certain limitations, a nurse or pharmacist independent prescriber or supplementary prescriber. In this document, references to a practitioner mean an appropriate practitioner.

It clearly states an independent nurse prescriber is an appropriate practitioner, if you were aware of the laws surrounding nurse prescribers you would fully understand what they meant by "certain limitations". As such, everyone on here can assure you nurse prescribers do not need to work with a doctor to be able to prescribe or administer botox if they hold the V300 qualification.

Latest posts

Back