Problem with mother in law?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perfecttennails

Reaction score
Hello all,
I am hoping that writing this, I may come across some other ladies in the same situation, who could advise on how to handle my mother in law!!
Me and my partner have been together for nine years; married for three. I have never been over keen on his mother, as she is one of these people who think that money solves everything. She has hardly worked throughout her life, as her and her husband came into some money, therefore have to have the best of everything and are real brand and name droppers! I have had a few run ins with her, my first one was when me and my husband got married. She wanted everything her way, she wanted me to get my dress from (X), she wanted this, she wanted that just because they put some money towards our wedding. I remember one occasion when she told me what favours she wanted me to have. I told her my idea which was different and she proceeded to sit on the sofa arm, strop and say "I don't know why you're bothering to ask me, you seem to have made your decisions".
She makes out all the time that she has all of these illnesses; back pain, fibromyalgia, depression...the list is exhaustive, yet with all of these things, they only come up when they suit her! She say she has chronic backache, yet she was happy wandering round in stiletto heels at my wedding all day? She ended up getting herself reported by somebody at my wedding for being a benefit fraud as she claims disability.
Anyway I'm not a fan of her, so I tend to keep my distance and she never shows any interest in me and my husband's life, which I find tragic, but it's her choice.
The only thing that bothers me is with my daughter who is now 18 months. My mum sees my daughter every week without fail, where as my mother in law has seen my daughter no more than 10 times in the 18 months she's been on the planet, she doesn't even phone on a regular basis to ask how she is or how we are! She lives the same distance away as my parents and shows plenty of interest in her daughters son; seeing him weekly and spoiling him all the time! It's now at the stage that my daughter doesn't even know who she is!
I have tried to sit down with her a couple of times and explain she isn't showing any interest in my daughters life and I'm not prepared to tolerate it but she then proceeds to switch on the waterworks which obversely guilts my husband into feeling sorry for her.
I sat down with her just before Christmas and I made it clear "if you don't make an effort now, you won't see her again" and was quite abrupt with her; even telling her to stop crying because I wasn't interested and I really thought I might have got through to her.
However, since Boxing Day, she has only seen her twice, one of those times was due to my husband taking her there.
I am really at my wits end and don't know what else to do???
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. It's a long winded story with lots more info so ask away with any further questions xx

However hurtful it is sometimes you have to accept that she is what she is and you either take it or leave it, sadly your husband doesn't really have that choice as when all is said and done she's his mother, (he must be hurt as well). You can't force her to take more interest in your child, all you can do is leave the door ajar for her. I certainly wouldn't bring it up again, or do all the running around and wouldn't give her ultimatums. If she starts to show interest and wants to see your little one of her own volition, it's up to you whether you agree or not at the time. At the end of the day she's the one missing out x

Why do you want this woman in your daughters life? I don't get it. She will be no benefit for your daughter, just an interfering hindrance. Be glad she is distancing herself. Let your mum be Granny and let her sod off.

My father in law has no interest in his grandchildren (my daughters) and hasn't seen them for 4 years. He lives 5 miles away. I couldn't be happier. He's an evil conniving sick specimen and the last thing I want is for my girls to have any form of relationship with him.

Count your blessings she's staying away, she'd only be meddling and being a right royal pain in the neck otherwise. You've got it good. Leave her to it.

However hurtful it is sometimes you have to accept that she is what she is and you either take it or leave it, sadly your husband doesn't really have that choice as when all is said and done she's his mother, (he must be hurt as well). You can't force her to take more interest in your child, all you can do is leave the door ajar for her. I certainly wouldn't bring it up again, or do all the running around and wouldn't give her ultimatums. If she starts to show interest and wants to see your little one of her own volition, it's up to you whether you agree or not at the time. At the end of the day she's the one missing out x

Yeah I understand what you mean. My husband is kind of bothered but if I tell him to ring his mum he can't be bothered and she certainly isn't bothered...sometimes I feel like I'm the only one that is bothered!!
My husband doesn't want to say anything as he likes smooth sailing lol and just says that how she is, but then he will expect me to go round there all day Boxing Day or contact her to meet up etc?
So much hard work; the little one is easiest of the lot xx

I have been through this, the best thing to do is just leave her to it, I have given up on trying, people like this never change as they are "always I'm the right" if she's not seeing your little one then that's her loss and it's not worth the hassle of arguments. Good luck! Xx

I have been through this, the best thing to do is just leave her to it, I have given up on trying, people like this never change as they are "always I'm the right" if she's not seeing your little one then that's her loss and it's not worth the hassle of arguments. Good luck! Xx

Why do you want this woman in your daughters life? I don't get it. She will be no benefit for your daughter, just an interfering hindrance. Be glad she is distancing herself. Let your mum be Granny and let her sod off.

My father in law has no interest in his grandchildren (my daughters) and hasn't seen them for 4 years. He lives 5 miles away. I couldn't be happier. He's an evil conniving sick specimen and the last thing I want is for my girls to have any form of relationship with him.

Count your blessings she's staying away, she'd only be meddling and being a right royal pain in the neck otherwise. You've got it good. Leave her to it.

I totally get where you are coming from, I just don't want my daughter to look up when she is older and it's my fault but I didn't try to sort it out.
Also as I just wrote to the other poster before I saw yours, my husband won't stand up to her but then both he and she expect me to spend all Boxing Day there (an example just gone by) and for me to contact her to arrange to meet up? Otherwise she says to him I don't make an effort/don't like her so that's why she hasn't called and he also gets on my case saying that I don't make the effort.
It's one of those cant win situations I think :( xx

Tbh I wouldn't want to push her onto my daughter, enjoy the fact you only have to see her a few times a year, your daughter will get to know who she is in time, (18 months old is still very young) even only seeing her a handful of times per year.
Enjoy the fact she doesn't bother you too often and then it'll make it more bearable when you do have to see her ... Lol ... She is the one missing out on her granddaughter.
Xxxxx

Honestly you should enjoy the fact she stays away.

I'd tell the other half that if he wants his mum to see his daughter (these meet ups you mention) then he can arrange them, he can ring his mum and he can have the joy of spending time with his family if he wants and you'll stay home cleaning etc.. (you should consider going to some of the family visits just to show your face).

Sometimes it's really hard when people don't behave as we think they should. You can't change it, but you can change how you deal with it. Just accept that she is as she is, and let her get on with it. Enjoy your husband and your beautiful daughter, and see her when you have to. Job done!

Vicki x

Just to offer a different perspective; as children, my sister and I were always made painfully aware that we were second best.

I remember one Christmas being given a little scratch drawing thing (when I was 13) whilst my cousin got a big warm jacket that she wanted, lots of clothes and stuff for her room, etc. She was this, she was that. If we'd done something, she'd done it better.

We were never allowed to stay, she never looked after us. We only saw her when my parents took us to visit - shed never come of her own accord.

My aunt got pregnant and moved back up to where we live. She came out most days. When the baby was born, my mum looked after her so the aunt could go do some cleaning work. The day before the little one started school, my mum was informed that her duty as an aunty was over and we've never seen the lot of them since.

It's a HUGE relief if I'm honest and I'm glad my daughter and nephews have nothing to do with them - I didn't even tell them I was pregnant!

There was so much negative energy floating around and none of it did any good. Your daughter will be far happier if you don't push it :)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

My mil was always doting on my brother in law and his family, she would go on and on about how wonderful they were and they had always done better things than we had. she wouldnt let me speak to any of them, it was like i wasnt worthy enough. I decided just to block her and not speak to her in the end, although we visited her, but I would say as little as I could to her. It was my way of handling it. She died 18 months ago, and things have been fine with brother in law since.

Worst thing a parent can do! Favour a child more than their other kids :(
I realize we all are born individuals and have personality clashes but it is a parents responsibility to make an effort.
My mom and I butt heads constantly and she can be awful but Id die before I gave up on trying to be friends.
My mother in law is wicked good and we get along great, we get drunk together and laugh together. She has always been supportive of our wishes and dreams and more women should be like her.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using SalonGeek mobile app

Just to look from a different angle..,
I had a friend whose mum and mum in law were not visiting loads, offering help, babysitting etc. My friend would cry down the phone 'it's awful, my poor little one deserves the best grandparents' etc etc and on and on.
So, she was just getting upset because her family didn't conform to her ideal for her child and play happy extended family.
Loads of kids have grandparents half the world away. They grow up fine.

Latest posts

Back