Problem with my clients nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bellabeautie

Reaction score
Hi all,

I done a new set of l&p 2 weeks (tomorrow) ago. The lady that came to me bites and picks at her nails (her nails and surrounding skin) because she said her nails grow so badly, they are really flaky and when they do grow they snap off and shes gets fustrated and hates her nails being all different....thats when she starts to bite/pick at them.
Anyway, she frequently buys the stick on nails from Boots, and once she has these on, she never bites or pick at the nails/fingers!
So she came to me and had that full set. I made sure I talked to her about the aftercare and that it was very important she looked after them or they would not last, and how they are completely different to the stick on ones. She was really happy with them.

Then, yesterday, I get a phone call from her saying she wants to come in on saturday for infills, and that the nails are SO bad. She said she has lost loads, and the ones that are left are so badly lifted they look awful. She said the majority of them had lifted quite a lot by the monday after the saturday I had done them!!!:eek: I immediately started saying about her maybe not carrying out the aftercare I had told her about, but she insisted lots that she had and that she had been applying solar oil 2-3 times daily and used half the bottle (I retailed her a mini solar oil) I just really dont know what to say to her!! If shes only got a couple of nails left, I should just soak them off and put a new set on (like she said on the phone), but Im thinking that I am going to do all of that for it to happen again!
I am pretty confident that its not my doing.....if anything, my sets are improving everytime I do them and I dont seem to have any problems with all my other clients.
I dont want to be too horrible to her or anything.....after all she is the wife of the person I rent my room off!! Argh!
Does anybody have any advice on what I can do/say?
Thanks, and sorry to ramble on forever! xxx

- you don't mention what system you are using (ie L&P, gel etc) on this client, selecting the most appropriate product may help a lot.

- she sounds like a carnivore... her nails and skin are probably in her mouth an emense amount and therefore drying out as the water rapidly evaporates, this will be the cause of the rough/dry skin and the flaky/ snapping nails - she would be extremely wise to:
1) stop eating herself
2) use solar oil (as you have perscribed)
3) use a product such as CND rejuvinator that will help to repair and heal the skin.

- You must classify nail biters very differently to normal clients, they are rougher as they are not used to the length (they should be much shorter for the first couple months or so), they will still chew often without knowing, or at least play with the nails in a rough/damaging way. They often suffer a lot of lifting initially due to all the above - so I would have her on a two week max rebalance time, as it's not at all uncommon for them to suffer issues.

- Look for damage on the natural nail plate you can see, this will be the give away ... swipe the plate with a dehydrator and damage will show up as white rough areas, this is where the product has not let go, rather layers of nail plate have ripped up and the product has had mechanical force applied (rough treatment)

HTH's - I personally would have outlined all the above in advance and say that until you change your habits and your nails recover 'results may vary - no gaurantee'

How about you telling the client that due to the problems she has been having that you would prefer to soak off the remaining L&P and put her on a 'nail biters course' , week one manicure, send home with the solar oil, week three another manicure and if she has not bitten her nails overlay with no extension with clear gel, week five another manicure and reasess the overlay and see if there is enough free edge to add some white or pint them with a little nail art ???????????????

It might give her time to start to look after her own nails and really get into them instead of thinking of enhancements as a 'quick fix' that require no input from her self ????

Latest posts

Back