Problems with curly blow dry - Help !

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nailsanonymous

Reaction score
I am a make up artist newly trained in hair ups etc for weddings, I am struggling to get big bouncy curls in my blow drys.

Can anyone help advise me is either my technique wrong or product wrong.

I currently do the following :-

dry off the hair so its not dripping
spray in Wella perfect setting (wet) spray
section the hair into four (hot cross bun)
Start from the bottom and use a medium size brush dry and curl under section about just over an inch
curl each section into a velcro roller (not a small velcro)
Carry on until all hair in velcros and leave to cool.

A clients hair I did last week look ok and they were pleased but I wanted massive bouncy curls and it just didn't happen.

Can anybody advise if my technique sounds wrong or any better products to use.

Thank you hair geeks xx

Are you drying the roots first and getting sufficient lift?
Try using a mousse too, it will help to stiffen the root and hold better.
When you blow dry each section really lift it up from its natural fall and dry that root, then set it in the roller
Hope that helps
xxxx

Use smaller velcros or heated rollers, bigger velcros will give movement not curl

Try using mousse.. it helps..also dont apply it on your scalp.

I normally pull the hair straight up and roll all the way down as if it were a roller then set it using the cold setting then twist it out (it looks like rats tails at this point) then once you've done that to the whole head spray a light mist of workable hairspray get your client to tip her head back and give it a good shake :) x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

I use hairspray on wet hair instead of mousse or lotion. Never blast off any excess water as the heat starts setting the shape, use a towel. Don't section into four, you can end up with a part through the back of the head, instead follow the clients usual parting to the crown then section downward to the back of ears. Beginning at the crown take a section, put a light spray of hairspray not too much. Use a medium to large (around number 13 if using headjog) brush, lay the brush at the root and the hair on top, get a good grip of the hair and pull towards the front, then dry. Roll the hair in the brush from tip to root while drying until the brush sits on the section(not below, it needs to sit on it to give extra root lift) then get another of the same size, start the next section doing the same, re heat the first. Move onto the number 15 brush, re do as above with this brush on the next section until both are used, on the last or last 2 sections use the number 16 brushes. By this time the first brush roller should be dry, take it out and roll the hair back like it was and clip with a sectioning clip with both teeth wrapped in tissue (make sure they aren't the type that the bottom tooth sits inside the top when closed, flat clips with tissue prevent marks).
Next start the sides, is the parting off centre? If so start with the largest side, working down to the ears. Pull the hair to the opposite side ear and do as last time again, you may not need all the brushes but make sure the first is the smallest you used on the back and the last is the same as the largest. If any are left (hopefully the smallest and largest used again) do the same the opposite side, if you don't have enough ensure the hair is dry where rolled and use the brushes again by rolling and clipping like the back. Once all is dry and 100% NATURALLY cooled (never use cold blast with this method) you can take out all the clips and admire your beautiful natural curls.

On the back try to put the brushes in like a brick wall to stop separation marks. You can either add a bit more spray before taking out and again once all curls are out or just wait until the end to give a final spraying.

Hope this helps. Xoxo

I use hairspray on wet hair instead of mousse or lotion. Never blast off any excess water as the heat starts setting the shape, use a towel. Don't section into four, you can end up with a part through the back of the head, instead follow the clients usual parting to the crown then section downward to the back of ears. Beginning at the crown take a section, put a light spray of hairspray not too much. Use a medium to large (around number 13 if using headjog) brush, lay the brush at the root and the hair on top, get a good grip of the hair and pull towards the front, then dry. Roll the hair in the brush from tip to root while drying until the brush sits on the section(not below, it needs to sit on it to give extra root lift) then get another of the same size, start the next section doing the same, re heat the first. Move onto the number 15 brush, re do as above with this brush on the next section until both are used, on the last or last 2 sections use the number 16 brushes. By this time the first brush roller should be dry, take it out and roll the hair back like it was and clip with a sectioning clip with both teeth wrapped in tissue (make sure they aren't the type that the bottom tooth sits inside the top when closed, flat clips with tissue prevent marks).
Next start the sides, is the parting off centre? If so start with the largest side, working down to the ears. Pull the hair to the opposite side ear and do as last time again, you may not need all the brushes but make sure the first is the smallest you used on the back and the last is the same as the largest. If any are left (hopefully the smallest and largest used again) do the same the opposite side, if you don't have enough ensure the hair is dry where rolled and use the brushes again by rolling and clipping like the back. Once all is dry and 100% NATURALLY cooled (never use cold blast with this method) you can take out all the clips and admire your beautiful natural curls.

On the back try to put the brushes in like a brick wall to stop separation marks. You can either add a bit more spray before taking out and again once all curls are out or just wait until the end to give a final spraying.

Hope this helps. Xoxo

Thank you for such a comprehensive reply, I really appreciate you taking the time to reply.

I do have some head jog brushes but not the numbers you have quoted.

If you lived near me I would love to see you in action. Having never trained as a 'hair dresser' i think I am on the back hoof doing these curly blow drys.

Can I just ask if when using heated rollers if the curls actually last a long time? I was advise they drop quickly because the hair isn't going through the change from wet to dry hair?

Thanks again

Sorry me again with my curly blow dry.

What size velcro are best if I should try smaller ones.

I get mine from Alan Howard.

Thanks

Heated rollers last longer than Velcro in my opinion. You can use other size brushes, that was just an example, smaller at top going into larger downward, Alan Howard have the brushes I mentioned in four packs for £7.50.

Back to rollers, use a diffuser or rough dry the hair, so keep as much natural curl and texture, then put in the rollers the same way as the brushes, you can also start at the top, blowdry the section and fit the roller while the hair is still warm.

The best lasting curls will always be setting from wet with smooth rollers (Velcro are good for volume but I find it hard to get a smooth neat curl after) and setting pins under a hood dryer for half a hour or until all dry.

Alternatively you may want to invest in a wand and tongs, although a wand may be better as they are conical so you can alter the size without having 4/5 sets of tongs on the go. Xoxo

Hope this helps. Xoxo

Wow wow i absoutly love this and can not wait to try it :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Heated rollers last longer than Velcro in my opinion. You can use other size brushes, that was just an example, smaller at top going into larger downward, Alan Howard have the brushes I mentioned in four packs for £7.50.

Back to rollers, use a diffuser or rough dry the hair, so keep as much natural curl and texture, then put in the rollers the same way as the brushes, you can also start at the top, blowdry the section and fit the roller while the hair is still warm.

The best lasting curls will always be setting from wet with smooth rollers (Velcro are good for volume but I find it hard to get a smooth neat curl after) and setting pins under a hood dryer for half a hour or until all dry.

Alternatively you may want to invest in a wand and tongs, although a wand may be better as they are conical so you can alter the size without having 4/5 sets of tongs on the go. Xoxo

Fabulous - how much is it on the train to Wrexham from Manchester? I am on my way to see you in action !!

Latest posts

Back