Problems with red and darks gels curing!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larawilson

Reaction score
Hi I wonder if anyone could give me some advice.

When using gel colours on clients I am having problems with curing. When using reds ( gellux devil red, opi big apple red and Cajun shrimp and also some dark greens and blues) at the end when I am wiping, the colour is coming away at the sides and sometimes along the cuticle line.

I buff and prepare the nail plate, do full cuticle work, apply opi chip n skip, base coat covering the entire nail, cure for 60 secs, 1 coat of colour, cure for 60, 2nd coat of colour, cure for 60, top coat cure for 60.

Then when I wipe at the end often with these colours the colour wipes off the side of the nail and sometimes the cuticle line.

Why does this happen with this colour and what can I do to prevent it?

Thanks in advance

Lara xx

I would say your not covering the whole nail plate with top coat, so when your wioing the innobition layer off you havnt quite sealed all around the edges,so the colour is bring removed,thats what i personally think it could be,

Sent from my HTC Desire 300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Last edited:
Sounds like a problem with curing, check your bulbs if uv and hand placement x

Thank you guys, I am using an led lamp so shouldn't have a problem with the bulbs. I'll make sure I'm thorough with top coat x

I recommend the very reasonably priced OPI gelcolor training as you are currently not following application or curing guidelines.

I've been on the opi course. Am I not doing it right? This is how I was taught??

I forgot to add I don't have this problem with any other colours other than the ones I have mentioned x

Yeah, I'd have to agree with willowrose. You need to be in touch with your OPI educator. Those timings don't seem at all correct for OPI GelColor. Also, what lamp are you using? Are you using the OPI lamp?

You aren't using the correct lamp, correct cure times & are using a product intended for varnish in your prep?

Thank you for the advice ladies. I am using opi led lamp and was taught 30 seconds for curing but assumed over curing wasn't a bad thing? Also I just re read my post and I made a typo, I use opi bond aid not chip n skip in my prep.

I just don't understand why it only does it with certain colours. Very strange, wondered if certain colours were tricky. I am quite new to this, I qualified a year ago so I'm eager for advice and tips.

Xx

Phew :eek:

Right, not as dire as first thought.

No more double curing.

You just need be more thorough in encapsulating the colour coats. Easy fix :biggrin:

Also maybe thinner coats. Thank you x

Thank you for the advice ladies. I am using opi led lamp and was taught 30 seconds for curing but assumed over curing wasn't a bad thing? Also I just re read my post and I made a typo, I use opi bond aid not chip n skip in my prep.

I just don't understand why it only does it with certain colours. Very strange, wondered if certain colours were tricky. I am quite new to this, I qualified a year ago so I'm eager for advice and tips.

Xx

Yes, certain colors are more difficult because the UV rays have a harder time penetrating them. That's why you need to make your coats, including your base coat, super thin. Also, make sure the client has her hand flat in the lamp, no clenching. The OPI lamp with the sensor bar in the back encourages you to stretch your hand and get good cure.

Great, this really helps. Thank you x

Latest posts

Back