Puppy help?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam.hop

Reaction score
Hi Geeks, from all boards. I am in need of puppy advice.
(Short version) We are looking for a pup, to join our family. I have always loved the pug breed and so that is what we are looking for.

I have always had rescue dogs of all ages and breeds throughout my life, but I have a young son (16 months) and am finding it impossible to find a dog that has enough background information that the rescue centre feels comfortable rehoming with a young child. So hence, why we are looking at the pup/pedigree route.

I have studied, asked, annoyed various people regarding the breed and I know the breed would fit in well with our lifestyle. But if anybody had any suggestions or advice regarding what I should be looking for that would be a great help, as I don't know what I'm looking for!

I do not under any circumstances want to benefit puppy 'greeders', nor puppy farms or mills.

Again, advice would be very welcoming!! Thanks :)

Look for kc assured breeders if you go on to the kennel club website they have a list of breeders for all pedigree dogs and they do loads of checks on the breeders. Always arrange to visit the puppy before you get it and make sure you feel comfortable and that the pup seems happy and healthy, ask loads of questions because you can honestly tell how people have looked after the pup just by the answers they give. If you get a kc reg pup then you know it's definitely a full pedigree. Hope that helps :) good luck xxx

What sort of puppy are you looking to get breed wise ??

I second that. I actually took a piece of paper with me when we visited our pup for the first time. I had written a list of questions and a list of things to look out for i.e did the eyes look healthy (not runny or red), was the bottom area clean (no signs of diarrhea) etc. also make sure you can see the mother - is she calm, how does she greet you etc. and watch the pup for a while - is it shy, does it interact well? Good luck in your puppy search x

Thanks for the device so far ladies. I'm gonna have a look on the KC website.

I have found a lady advertising some pups. She says I'm more than welcome to visit whenever I like and the mum is her pet.

The only thing that 'put me off' was that I asked about 1st injection and she said "I can get them their 1st injection". As though not already done, even though they are ready now. I thought that was vital?

Love pugs !!! Post a pic when you've found one pleaseee 😜

Here's my daughters pug with our baby boy!

Vic X
Sorry no help to the op. Just a lovely pic x

1412458116362.jpg

I have found a lady advertising some pups. She says I'm more than welcome to visit whenever I like and the mum is her pet.

The only thing that 'put me off' was that I asked about 1st injection and she said "I can get them their 1st injection". As though not already done, even though they are ready now. I thought that was vital?

They're meant to get it between 8 and 10 weeks I think. The people I bought my puppy of hadn't got her injected so I did it at 8and a half weeks (the day after I got her) and the vet said it was fine :) xxx

Hi, we got our pup (King Charles spaniel) from kennel club. If you put in what breed you're interested in and area you're in it will come up with kc registered breeders. They will then supply papers of mum and dad and all health checks they have had. Also they should have all information about parentage. Make sure you see mum too hth xxx

Why not contact the pug rescues and see if they can point you in the right direction, I did a quick Google and there seems to be a few dotted around the country

I agree with everyone here about the KC thing. Do take a wee note of everything you'd like to ask because of the excitement you can forget lol. Do know what the signs of a healthy pug is as knowing the warning signs is the best thing. If someone offers you the chance to go up every so often I would say take that chance! We got a pedigree and I got to go up every second week from the day it was born and I already knew him by the time he got home and he knew me. I felt because of that he settled a bit better! I also got to know the family and we stayed in touch so they know about how he is 5 years later! As for puppy stages. I could rattle on about it haha. I learned so much with my youngest two ! If you want to know anything or ask anything if be happy to rattle on :p haha! Hope my rambling helps xx

How old is the pup? I've got 2 dogs and neither came to me with injections as pups. Pup needs the first vaccination at 8 weeks and the second at 10 weeks. It's typical for a pup to leave the litter at 8 weeks and the new owner take them to the vet for a check and the first vaccination - personally I would rather have my own vet carry out both the vaccinations in front of me anyway. Show us a pic when you finally find one. Pugs are my fave! X

Thanks for all the lovely advice!
She was 8 weeks this week. I thought it might have been wrong, but from any other pups I'd heard of the mass majority seem to have had their injection.
When I rang my vets they said to make sure they've had them, and I need a copy before they'll take them on?

I have been in contact with the Pug welfare and Rescue which is the main charity, for over a year. Had a home check, donate regularly but, as I mentioned, they are happier rehoming them where there are no young children in the house. Regardless of how cautious I would be.

:)

Thanks for all the lovely advice!
She was 8 weeks this week. I thought it might have been wrong, but from any other pups I'd heard of the mass majority seem to have had their injection.
When I rang my vets they said to make sure they've had them, and I need a copy before they'll take them on?

I have been in contact with the Pug welfare and Rescue which is the main charity, for over a year. Had a home check, donate regularly but, as I mentioned, they are happier rehoming them where there are no young children in the house. Regardless of how cautious I would be.

:)

As far as I'm aware pups don't have injections before 8 weeks because they get their antibodies off their mother up until them, it's when they come off the mother they need the injection to up the antibodies again !

I too am in love with pugs. I know someone with 2 pugs who had very different experiences with each. Her first (fawn female), she had saved up for ages and when she got the money she was too inpatient and unfortunately got one that turned out to be puppy farmed. It had a lot of health problems (eye popped out, had a hysterectomy otherwise it'd die etc) and she did a lot of checks but it turned out the mother wasn't the puppies mum after all. All seemed above board but it was all a front. Her second she got from kennel club, she checked over a long time and did her research on the breeder and this one (black male) hasn't had a single thing wrong! She tried with re homing but they didn't come up with anything until shed got her two, and they were rehoming a pair, typical lol. I know the recurring health problems can be many, but a decent breed, a halter (to save breathing probs), decent food and a mummy that loves them and you'll have a loyal, loving addition to your family. I hope it goes well for you.

I havent seen many pugs in the pounds and sanctuaries but pug x seems fairly common to adopt so worth keeping an eye out x

Some vets say first jab 8 weeks some say 10 weeks as they still have antibodies from mother i had one of mine vaccinated at 8 weeks as they were taking him back down south n knew it was too far to go without getting out of car so got him a bit of protection rest of litter got injected in their new homes at 10 + weeks.

Not gonna be much help but I never really liked pugs at all until we got our jug Sid he's a pug and Jack Russell cross so lovely! He's got a funny little character! :)

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1412541408.840541.jpgJ

Latest posts

Back