Puzzled

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sass

Reaction score
I came across a Q & A page from a recognised Nail company - I was taught that COLD air, sets polish faster than warm air.......

Q: I've heard that using a UV lamp speeds up polish drying times. Is this true?

A. Yes using a UV lamp will speed up the drying time for most nail polishes.

For most "standard" nail polishes it's the evaporation of the solvents that causes the polish to dry, and this happens faster when its warm. So it's the heat produced by the lamp that makes the polish dry quicker, not the fact that the lamp is UV. You will get a similar effect from any heat source, such as a 100w lightbulb.
The other thing that speeds up the drying time is any movement of air over the polish; that's why waving your hands about helps. So a cheap polish dryer which has a little fan that blows air across the nails can have the drying time.

Which is the truth??:|

I've never used a UV lamp to dry nail polish unless I'm using a UV cured top coat for polish. I would think that if the polish you are using didn't have a photo initiator in it, it wouldn't work. As for the evaporation of the solvents, you aren't going to keep your nails inside the lamp for a long period of time, (usually about 2 minutes), my lamp (CND) doesn't put out that much heat. You can buy heat cured top coats for polish that cure within 3 minutes under a 60w light bulb. I've always had better luck with my polish drying when it's cold, putting my nails in a sink of cold water. PAM (the non stick cooking spray) also works wonders on setting polish!

Heating polish will accelerate evaporation. BUT it will damage the polish and cause it to form poor bonds so it will chip an not last.

Blowing air of any temperature will slow the process too. Oxygen inhibits (blocks) the solvents from evaporating

The best thing to do is use a curing spray (like solar speed spray from CND) or solar oil as both will stop air from interfering.

I would never recommend using non stick cooking spray. I think this would look very unprofessional

Hths

Thanks peeps, I really wonder sometimes about recognised companies putting out certain info, which leads to confusion - especially if the answer was given to a trainee:irked:

Listen to the experts .. not just the company that may have a vested interest in selling you a lamp.

Half a truth is not the whole truth.

Last edited:
Funnily enough - everything I read - with the exception of a couple of experts' books:) - I come back to Salongeek and verify through the search function or a quick post:D

Funnily enough - everything I read - with the exception of a couple of experts' books:) - I come back to Salongeek and verify through the search function or a quick post:D

Good Lass. Smart.

Latest posts

Back