Racoon hair extensions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beautybits

Reaction score
Can anyone give me some advice on hair extensions. I had Racoon put in about a week ago and the hair is shedding everywhere and I have lost quite a few of the extensions.
I have gone back to the stylist who put them in, but she said it was normal. I contact Racoon direct and they said it was not there problem go back to the salon. I have spoken to quite a few of my friends about this and they now said Racoon is known for shedding and causes damage to the hair. Can anyone help please

Are they the ones the extensionist has to apply hot keratin to the loose hair to apply?

Are they the ones the extensionist has to apply hot keratin to the loose hair to apply?
I think so, it feels like I have glue all over my hair. Half way through she burnt my scalp too

Are you trained on hair extensions or a consumer?

Some extensions already have the keratin tips on them so it's just a case of melting them into your hair. These usually have less shedding that loose hair that's dipped in hot keratin immediately before applying to your hair.

The shedding might settle down after another week , if not go back to your stylist.

I don't do racoon extensions but I know a lot of lady's who used to get this type and they were constantly moaning about shedding.... apparently it's normal for this method? X

Are you trained on hair extensions or a consumer?

Some extensions already have the keratin tips on them so it's just a case of melting them into your hair. These usually have less shedding that loose hair that's dipped in hot keratin immediately before applying to your hair.

The shedding might settle down after another week , if not go back to your stylist.
I have got up this morning and the back of my hair is matted. I have lost another two extensions when washing my hair this morning. I cannot even brush it, Racoon said they cannot do anything. I am so upset. can anyone give me advice on how to unmat these extensions

I have got up this morning and the back of my hair is matted. I have lost another two extensions when washing my hair this morning. I cannot even brush it, Racoon said they cannot do anything. I am so upset. can anyone give me advice on how to unmat these extensions
Go back to your stylist

I'm trained in Raccoon and to be honest wish I never went with them (many years ago!) the bonding material is so soft and sticky after washing, they are more likely to shed and come out. During training they said this was normal but to be honest, over the years, products have got so much better but they are still using the same bonding which they claim is so soft and gentle it will not ruin the hair.
I also went on to train with their "Hair In Recovery" I believe their system works great for that.
Perhaps ask your stylist how long she has been doing this method, there is a knack to do the "Racoon Cocoon" which is the shape of the bond.
She needs to use the silicone pad and really push all the glue she put on the tip through each hair then quickly pinch top then bottom of the bond and roll vigorously to get a shiny neat tight bond. Maybe take a few photos and show us or even Racoon and see what they say x

Raccoon is outdated in my opinion x

I called the salon yesterday and they basically do not want to know/

Does anyone know how to get them out,

I sat with conditioner on my hair yesterday trying to get the matty bits straight but it not helping.

I have also noticed that the ones that have come out have left bald patches in my head.

I wish I had never had Racoon hair extensions

I called the salon yesterday and they basically do not want to know/

Does anyone know how to get them out,

I sat with conditioner on my hair yesterday trying to get the matty bits straight but it not helping.

I have also noticed that the ones that have come out have left bald patches in my head.

I wish I had never had Racoon hair extensions

Don't call them..... turn up unannounced! They have a contract with you. I always offer to help my clients out even when they've been a pain In the bottom and haven't followed aftercare! Definitely turn up, they will have no choice but to at least have a look.

Stop playing with them until the salon has had a look or they may say as you tampered with them your contract is void.
You're also entitled to a second opinion but do not get another technical to do anything but give their option until the original salon has had a look or this may void your contact. Good luck xxx

I went back to the salon yesterday to see if they could help, no luck.
They advised me to buy some acetone and use it on my hair to dissolve the glue.
I called Racoon to make sure this was correct and they said all they use is acetone on the hair to dissolve the glue.
Surely this will make my hair dry and break
Can any one advise on this and has anyone used acetone on the hair

Yes acetone is standard procedure for removing bonds. However I would never advise a client to do it themselves.

You have 2 options. Cut your losses and pay someone reputable to remove them or keep being persistent.

Did you speak to the manager? Have you followed their aftercare? What shampoo have you used?

The way they are treating you is disgusting btw

I can't believe they told you to remove them yourself!!!

I bought Racoon shampoo and conditioner and also and brush and a comb. I was not really told to do anything else

I went back to the salon today and they said if I want them removing I need to pay. I called Racoon and spoke to a lady called Elaine who was the most rudest person I have ever spoken to, basically she informed me I had no contract with Racoon, even though the salon made me pay for the hair over the telephone with Racoon with my debit card.

I think this is terrible customer service....

Turn up to the salon, in front of all their clients and show them the hair and say you want it removing

I've heard of the bonds softening very easily with Racoon and also the same type of bond is used with balmain I think.. a softer bond.. but I've never fitted these two brands myself, I like the idea of the bonds being more gentle for the hair and less invasive than very hard keratin but because it softens very easy it can start to feel like chewing gum in your hair and then this sticks to all the strands of the hair.

I've had extensions fitted with the glue gun method where the Extensionist adds the keratin to the strands of hair and then bonds and found the hair was really thick for 2 weeks and then just shed like mad and after 2 weeks there was hardly any left in my hair. X

Our salon used to offer Raccoon bond extensions and the tape in extensions. We had so many issues with them the that US distributor said nothing was wrong on Racoon's end, and then received information from Racoon (wherever they're headquartered) also saying that nothing was wrong. Our salon immediately switched companies. Terrible hair on the tape-ins (always matting and knotting), and so much shedding from the little bonded ones. Terrible!

Latest posts

Back