Rationalising internet/TV subscription charges

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elaine143a

Reaction score
I am fed up with paying for a home telephone line that I only really use to enable me to get wireless broadband. I understand that I could use my iphone 4s as a wireless hub?

Has anyone else cancelled their landline and used their phone as a hub? If so, what are the pitfalls etc - any advice greatly appreciated.

ps, my iphone contract is for "unlimited" internet useage (which I know is subject to fair use policy, but I don't download films and only very small amount of music via itunes).

I am also thinking of cancelling my sky subscription (only need it for sky sports and sky one, but tbh the cost is just not worth it anymore), but love the fact I can series link my favourite programmes. Sorry to be dumb, but I am sure I can buy some sort of other "box" that will record series link in place of sky?

Cancelling these two services will save me about £1100 pa (should just about cover the increases in fuel charges :irked:)

xxx

Cant help with the iphone as a hub but i have just got a HD freesat + box that connects to the old sky dish outside. Not sure if it series links as i havent had much of a play with it yet but its got quite a few channels on there :) got it from argos for £150 hth xx

Elaine, we're the same. Would love to find a reasonable deal.

Hi Elaine

It depends on your network provider regarding your phone as a hub. we don't have a land line sick of all the sales calls. we have a 3g dongle which has 15 GB a month allowance- highest you can get on contract dongle I believe, it works out more expensive than normal broadband through say sky but then you're paying line rental. Getting back to your original question 15 GB normally is enough and I watch quite allot of TV on line however one month I went over and thought I know I'll tether my iPhone to my PC as I've got unlimited free internet on my phone. Now this may not be the case for all networks or in my case price plan but 3 said I wasn't on a plan that allowed me to do this and if I wanted internet access using my phone as a modem/wifi hotspot then I had to buy a whole new separate internet bundle (not my unlimited mobile phone allowance) which worked out pricey in the long run. Best bet call your network provider and ask.

On a side note you can by a device called mifi to get your 3g dongle to become a wifi hotspot.

hth x x x

Sent from my GT-S5839i using SalonGeek

I too tried to do this as my bt bill was 80 pm with sky on top, and I never used my house phone, or was switched off and in cupboard as I'm sick of ppi calls,

Switched to sky for unlimited BB and after 6pm calls £14 pm

I'm not very technical so unsure about I phone as hub

Also got a sky box for bedroom and bought free sat card £20, job done

I use my iPhone as a hub when broadband is down and I've never been charged extra and I'm on 3?Best to call and ask really.

Also why don't you call your current provider and ask them what deal you can get else you'll leave lol that usually makes them squirm ;)

Finally, put your number on TPS (telephone preference service I think) x

Latest posts

Back