Really white nail beds?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleepingbeauty

Reaction score
A youngish woman had her nails done by me yesterday. Now upon arrival she had varnish on, which was really stained (as she had dyed her hair Bright Red). Now upon removing the varnish it revealed below the most incredibly 'white' nail plates I've ever seen in my life.

She wasnt on any medication & she said it was normal for her nails to be very pale.
Now having done these nails my initially worry was that there could be an underlying problem that could cause my gels to lift... Now looking on google I'm more worried that she could actually have Hepatitis ..

OK Im more than hoping that I'm just overreacting & she could have nothing wrong with her or at best just a case of anaemia (Either way I wouldnt discuss EITHER with the client), BUT is there any other reason why her nail plates would be sooo pale (and I mean really pale, whitelike, unlike I've ever seen before)..

Whats more, what do I do if she tries to re-book me in ???

I would let her know that you think that she needs to see the GP and that you can not treat her till she does. Let her know that it can be a sign of a bad illness or nothing at all but that you want her to be safe and healthy.

Oh that is a tough one. Hmmm I guess use your better judgement. If you are nervous don't do it or wear gloves.

Hey hunni,

Just reading your post! If your client has hepatitis, she has a legal obligation and also a moral obligation to let you know she has this condition. Did you get her to fill out a record card? Its highly unlikely she has this condition and not told you as she could face criminal prosecution and also considering she is not on any prescribed medication. Anyone with this condition needs medication on a regular basis.:eek:

If client has had a nail varnish on for a particularly long period of time and doesnt look after her fingers or nails, then it is more likely her nails are dehydrated and brittle. I have often seen this in some clients after removing a gel polish or other nail enhancement products.

I have even seen it slightly after removing some nail polishes as well. Ensure she has a proper hydrating manicure next time and encourage her to use a cuticle oil daily one such as the cnd solar oil would be perfect. :)

Hi I had very white nail beds and it was due to severe anaemia. i would let her know of your concerns but do so in a way that doesnt frighten her. hth

Thanks for all your advice. Just so you all know these nails were definately not the white you'd expect with dehydration.. Just very white nails like you see with Leukonychia, although there were not flecks or lines, simply very white nail beds. ie Absolutely no hint of pink pigmentation...

Latest posts

Back