Recently qualified micro rings-sectioning query

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lyndsey007

Reaction score
Can anyone offer advice please ...
For micro rings does everyone just section straight across the head up to the occipital bone? & then go to the sides ? I've seen different pictures of people sectioning the horseshoe shape ?

The manual i had through training states you don't touch the top & didn't really give much detail about the sides of the head or exactly how far forward is ok to bring them, clearly thicker hair will cover better i get that, so i've been practising twice daily at fitting & removal on my block but everyones hair is different. Only so much cutting/blending on my doll i can do.

I've been quizzed from potential clients & several spies, about whether i can cut them to blend in once fitted, i'm not qualified to do this but i know i could at least neaten them up, & frame the face .. ive been practising this on my doll & also at college ( I qualify in june lvl2 hair ) but legality wise ive tried to be safe & been honest with them, so apart from the fact im newly qualified , i also cant cut them so they dont wanna know (which i do understand) ..

So i guess i'm kinda asking a few things here , is there an easier way to fit so that at least they may look better when all brushed back over the clients shoulders to get that curve? Like i said i'm practising twice daily ( my hand/fingers & thumb are killing!! )
I have offered free fitting to build up a portfolio at the moment, explained to those who dont know me that im not qualified to cut/blend, but those who know me are more than happy to let me cut/blend the best i can..

Any advice here or pics of your rings on roots to show how you are sectioning?
1 last thing .. a friend wants 3 colours in her hair .. we'll be using angel remy #4 with 2 shades of blonde, shes unsure if she wants a natural highlight effect or full on " ive got streaks " effect, depending which she choose how do i alternate the colours ? Sorry this post has ended up longer than planned :/ xx

I section horizontally, on the sides I also section horizontally, and only have around 2-3 sections on the side, I go as far as my clients hair will allow without discomfort or being able to see the micro links themselves.

This is currently what i've been doing, I do the bottom rows at the back 1st, but as i get to roughly half way up i then follow the same section line round to the sides so that each row of extensions is level right the way around. If doing various colours, i know for 2 colours you do 10101010101 but for 3 diff colours would you do 123123123123 hope that makes x

If you did it like that it would look streaky no doubt unless they have streaky hair, try to follow the colours on their hair or place them anyhow like 1233122213 etc if that majes sense xx

yeh brill thank you, If doing a full head roughly 200 bonds, how many of each would i need to order for 2 colours ? or 3 colours ? I'm going to order extra hair myself to put in my block so i can give it a go & see for myself 1st x

If its 2 colours i would get more of the main colour n less of the other if 3 colours i would order 2 main colours the same and the 3rd less colour less bonds, hard to tell without seeing the actual hair but thats what i do if it makes sense xx

This is currently what i've been doing, I do the bottom rows at the back 1st, but as i get to roughly half way up i then follow the same section line round to the sides so that each row of extensions is level right the way around. If doing various colours, i know for 2 colours you do 10101010101 but for 3 diff colours would you do 123123123123 hope that makes x

For more than one colour I personally don't do a 1,2 as that gives a stripe look , I pick my section up and see what colour is most showing and put that colour in gives a natural all over colour rather than a stripey look

At the mo she's a base of around #4, no other colours in, she not sure if she wants an obvious streak effect but only on the middle layers, or whether i'll be colouring it 2 blondes & then getting extensions to match. I'll be trying it out on my block a few times 1st though .

So does everyone still section in straight lines? or does anyone section horseshoe? x

I section in straight lines. That's what I was thought to do and still do it now. Every now and again I do a sort of horse show at the top though if I feel it needs more but depends on thickness of their hair and head shape if that makes sense :)

I was taught to section in straight lines to but now when i come up to doing the side i put it at a slight angle i find this a little more comfirtable for the client and easier to put up xx

Comfortable** xx

Latest posts

Back