Reception Cover - Times are Hard

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vons

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
Just wondering what your thoughts are on my predicament. I opened my new beauty & holisticc salon in November and we have got off to a slow start although things are starting to pick up a little now.
Initiall, my mom and sister very kindly covered reception for me (we have a boutique selling related products at the front of the salon which is where the reception desk is). Unfortunately their goodwill is now wearing thin and they have had enough of sitting there for hours on end withough getting paid and with us only being busy for a few hours at a time.
The salon is out of the main town in a residential area but we are starting to get the odd walk in and some people do pop in and buy things from the boutique but not many.
The problem is that I don't think that I can afford to employ a receptionist and so the only option is to switch the answer phone on and lock the door with a sign saying 'treatment in progress, please call for an appointment'.
I'm really worried that if I do this I will miss out on the odd customer who would walk past and may want to pop in and also that word would get around and people not like the set up.
What do you think? is it going to damage my business doing this and so should find the cash to pay for a receptionist or do you think that this will work and clients will understand?

Hiya sweet

what about a work experience from the local college? I think last year I had 3 of them each one on different days which helped out If I had a busy day I paid them something, If it were dead I didnt but those girls helped me out. we helped each other they got experience and I got a helper.

ring the local college and ask if there is anyone that needs a placement

If this helps. I work on my own. After working in a beauty salon for 6 years, I decided to set up on my own, 2 years ago. I don't think at the moment it would be worth me paying for someone to sit on reception when most of the time you can work it yourself, or you employ another therapist and share reception duties between you. I uasually put a sign on the door "treatment in progress please call back @....", and I leave the answer phone on. My clients understand that I am with a client, and so will come back, or ring and leave a message. As to new clients they do usually come back later. I have to say I am fully booked generaly all of the time, so it cant do any harm!!
See what works best for you and your business x

Hi,

To work out if you need reception cover, why don't you do a Cost Vs Benefit analysis.

How many telephone bookings are you missing?
How many clients drop in? is it for product sale or booking?
What is the average spend if they were to make a booking?
Would this client come back regularly?

Work out how much it cost to employ a reception and weigh it up against potential bookings.

What you may consider doing is having no reception initially and record how many missed calls you have and maybe when you have a walk-in keep door lock with a I'm in a treatment sign and let me knock/ring, this way you will know there is a walk-in instead of them just walking away....

I rent a room from the gym, lucky for me I have telephone cover. I notice many of my clients prefer to talk to me. I have internet in my room so I can pick up my emails instantly from my laptop. Many of my clients prefer this method of booking. You don't need internet for emails ....you can get it setup on your mobile phone.

Thanks everyone, you have come up with some really great suggestions. I feel much better now.

Hi Vons

I use to run my own beauty business and had the same issues - I did employ a receptionist but it costs a lot so I do understand where you are coming from. I sold my business and have set up a new business 2 years ago that offers software software from £15 a month and also call answering for the beauty industry. How it works is that you divert your calls when you are busy to ours and we answer calls, manage diaries, send out brochures or gift vouchers or take messages. Your customers are none the wiser as we answer in your name - they think you have taken on extra staff. What is great is that you only pay for what you use so you haven't got someone sat waiting for calls that you are paying to keep busy by the hour. You also don't have to pay sick pay, holiday cover etc.

Claire

Hi Everyone,
Just wondering what your thoughts are on my predicament. I opened my new beauty & holisticc salon in November and we have got off to a slow start although things are starting to pick up a little now.
Initiall, my mom and sister very kindly covered reception for me (we have a boutique selling related products at the front of the salon which is where the reception desk is). Unfortunately their goodwill is now wearing thin and they have had enough of sitting there for hours on end withough getting paid and with us only being busy for a few hours at a time.
The salon is out of the main town in a residential area but we are starting to get the odd walk in and some people do pop in and buy things from the boutique but not many.
The problem is that I don't think that I can afford to employ a receptionist and so the only option is to switch the answer phone on and lock the door with a sign saying 'treatment in progress, please call for an appointment'.
I'm really worried that if I do this I will miss out on the odd customer who would walk past and may want to pop in and also that word would get around and people not like the set up.
What do you think? is it going to damage my business doing this and so should find the cash to pay for a receptionist or do you think that this will work and clients will understand?

Hiyah hun

Do you have a local Volunteer Centre where you live as if you register your details with them they will refer volunteers to you to meet and see if their face fits so to speak and they can do a few hours a day and all it will cost you is lunch £2.50 per shift and travel expenses, bus or car.
its worth checking it out.

Sue x

Hello,

I would like to give you my opinion as a customer.

I don't think that, in my 20 years of having my hair done, I have ever just "walked in" into a salon, without the previous appointment. I know that some people do it, of course, but it is mostly in those "quick, cut and go" hair salons. Most of my friends also make appointments. Actually, the only time I walked in without the appointment was if I wanted to buy a hair product that I saw in the window, but that's about it.

So, from that point of view, I see nothing wrong with getting the A/M message when I call, as long as the salon returns my call very quickly, the same day or the next day at the latest.
This is mega important, not waiting too long for the call back. And, of course, make sure you put your phone numbers clearly visible.

Other than that, I usually make appointments at least a day (often longer) in advance, so you not being able to take my call that second would not affect my decision whether to go to your salon or not. As long as you call me back ASAP, I would be happy.
Also, with hairdressing, lots of customers are got through word of the mouth, so if you are good, the word will spread and your customer base will grow, slowly but surely.
Times are tough, lots of people are spreading their visiting hair salons longer (some omitting them altogether), so you need to be patient. You have only just started, and I think that January in general is a very slow month in business, being post-Christmas and so on. I run my own business, and January is always terrible!
On that note, someone's suggestion of trying a local beauty school for the receptionist is brilliant. Or how about advertising for "work experience" on Gumtree? You can say you can't offer the salary at the moment, but the receptionist can get a small provision from each appointment and also, when you are not busy, you can show her some tricks of the trade. For anyone eager to learn, that would be a good incentive (at least it would be for me if I was a student).
Good luck with your business, it is very brave to start on your own, just give it a bit of time and I am sure that you will get there very soon.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back