Red hair dye help please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bex0

Reaction score
Hi

Im looking for some advice on colouring my hair red. I want it a bright vibrant red, like that of Nancy from Hollyoaks if anyone watches it!

I was getting my hair coloured at the hairdressers but at almost £100 a time for a cut and colour it was way too expensive and the colour was never red enough and it always faded v quickly.

This last time i have dyed it myself and achieved a much brighter red and the colour has lasted, but still not bright enough. I used Loreal Feria Scarlet Power and then have topped it up with Directions Pillar Box red. I think the problem is my natural hair colour is dark brown. I've heard about pre lightening hair but the hairdresser never mentioned this to me and im not sure how to go about it, or if it is safe to do myself, especially when i have already got colour on my hair.

Does anyone have any advice to how i can achieve the colour i want by doing it myself at home? Would it get redder the more times i apply the dye? Or does my hair really need to be lightened first?

Thanks!

Hi, I appreciate your dilemma but this is a professional forum offering help and advice to salon professionals and no-one is going to advise you to pre-lighten your own hair I'm afraid. I'm not a hairdresser but I know you are attempting a fairly technical colouring job, and so my advice is to go to a salon.

If you try this yourself you are running the risk of damaging your hair and/or your skin, so IMO it's a job best left to professional who have both training and insurance. I know this isn't what you want to hear.

Hth's

Latest posts

Back