Registering a business

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuzzyBee12

Reaction score
Do you have to register a business name with companies house when setting up a home salon or just yourself with hmrc? Thanks x

You only register a business when you are becoming Ltd.

You need to check with the IPO that trademarks haven't been taken out on the name you want to use, regardless of whether you are a home salon or not.

Some therapists on here were using the name 'beautique ' which is actually trademarked. They received letters stopping them,so it's good to be aware of.

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

It says you can register without being an ltd though which is what's throwing me, just as a sole trader?

If you are trading as a sole trader you need to register with HMRC as self employed. Don't register with companies house as this is for limited companies. I get clients coming to me as they mistakenly set up as a Limited Company and it's a hassle to undo it.

Hope that helps.

It does help. Thank you. So as long as I register myself I can just fire ahead with any name as long as it isn't trademarked (which unfortunately the name I originally wanted seems to be trademarked)?

You should still check the company register as well as you can't use a name that's the same or similar to another business.

It does help. Thank you. So as long as I register myself I can just fire ahead with any name as long as it isn't trademarked (which unfortunately the name I originally wanted seems to be trademarked)?

It depends what class number it's trademarked under.

It depends what class number it's trademarked under.

Oh ok. I've no idea what I should be doing.

So after speaking to council, insurance and mortgage, what are the next steps to get legally up and running?

Latest posts

Back