Relocating your business

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Creative Keren

Creative Nail Studio
Reaction score
I'm in some need of advice from my fellow geeks please.

I currently own a small salon in Staffordshire but my partner lives in Suffolk. We have been discussing "the move" as his job means that he is unable to move this way. I've been established in my town for about 4/5 years now and have worked bloody hard to get where I am now. It looks as though I'm going to have to move down south and set up there. Obviously that means starting all over again which, understandably I'm reluctant to do. How many of you have made the move before and how did you find it?

Ideally I will want to operate from home. (We are looking at having either an extension done or a cute purpose build log cabin type thing) he's been really helpful in 'promoting' me and my work already and many of our friends have already said that they'd be more than happy for me to do their beauty treatments but I know first hand how tough it can be building a reliable and loyal clientele. Does anyone have any pointers or advice please TIA x

I don't think you really need any advice tbh, you already operate a business and know w to run it.

It would be like starting a new business but with all the hindsite from your last business. So in theory you should be able to hit the grounds running.

I'd try to make sure some things are in place before the move, FB page, website. Leaflets already printed etc.

If the house is already yours, why not try to build the cabin or extension before you move in, these things have a tendency to take longer to build than quoted.

I think it's just a matter of trying to think of everything and do as much as you can before the move, I know that's easy said than done lol
GL xx

Thanks for the reply.

I know what you're saying and I feel stupid for asking the questions but what I wanted to know was if people kept everything the same and literally just moved it over with them to the new location. (Other than pricing as obviously, it will need to adjust to fit in with the area too)

How did they approach it? As a completely new business or as an existing one that has just relocated as it's almost 3 hours away from where I am now. Did people do a re-launch type thing?

Thanks for the reply.

I know what you're saying and I feel stupid for asking the questions but what I wanted to know was if people kept everything the same and literally just moved it over with them to the new location. (Other than pricing as obviously, it will need to adjust to fit in with the area too)

How did they approach it? As a completely new business or as an existing one that has just relocated as it's almost 3 hours away from where I am now. Did people do a re-launch type thing?

Tbh I don't think your existing customers will follow you, it's just too far.
So in that respect you have got yo treat it as a new business and promote it, yes you could say on your leaflets you've relocated, that at least says you've got experience in your field.

A duplicate copy of your old shop, why not if it worked. If you are like me, I had to adapt around the space I had, so you might need to do the same.
I'd study my old business and really be honest with myself. Does everything work perfectly? Does some aspects of the business require alittle fine tuning. No doubt there will be done downtime use this to make adjustments.

Decently do a promotional campaign, nobody will know you there

I'm sure you've already considered this but if you're planning to work from home,you'll need to check whether you need planning permission or if there are any local bylaws that you need to be aware of before you set up.

Local authorities vary enormously so it's always best to ask questions and get everything in writing (even email) these days.

It sounds like you've already established some friends in your new place so that's always a good starting point. Moving to a new area is always a mix of excitement and stress so just go with the flow. It will probably take a little while to get established so spend considerable time initially on promoting yourself by joining groups and activities where you can casually mention what you do and hand out business cards.

I moved country and didn't know anyone when we moved here. No established family or friends so I had to make quite an effort in the beginning and I started by getting to know the mums at my little boy's school.

Good luck with your new adventure.

I feel for you! I relocated back to the uk after having my own salon for 10years and had to start from scratch!! No family friends or clients!! The thought of having to prove myself again killed me. I found it very hard to begin with finding new clients but gradually you build again but don't be disheartened as it may take time. One thing I would suggest is maybe work somewhere for a small period so you have more exposure even if it's part time!!

Hey I live in Suffolk where I am is very hard, I've been doing this 2 years and it really depends where you are as to if it will work! I've moved from a salon that was just 10 miles from the one I'm in now but God has it made a difference! I'm now able to do what I love full time.
Hopefully if you're in a busy area people
Will see and find where you are easily and come in, or you can build up them clients quickly to keep a steady income?
Good luck with it all! X

Latest posts

Back