Renting a room?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fluffle

Reaction score
At the moment I am desperately looking for a job with no avail.
Yestaday I saw an advert for a room to rent for £100 a week that covered bills. They would take bookings for me, I could be there when I wanted to be, so wouldnt have the problem of booking days off.

I am so worryed that because I am starting up that I will have no client base and work to a huge loss, £400 a month plus products used :(
My husband and family are at a dont do it opinion. I would have to borrow 1 or 2 months before I started.
It would just be nail based treatments as thats my passion over anything else, I cant do shellac or gel polish (yet) will be doing courses one at a time during the rest of this year/start of next.

Did anyone have this problem when they started off?
Is it worth me doing it for a month and see how it goes?
Should I hold off for a proper payed job?
Should I wait untill I can do everything?

So many questions I keep asking myself and I just dont know the answer.

Opinions needed please

can any geeks suggest anything?

Could you get a business entrepreneur grant? Or maybe loan to get you started
Can't really advise on rent as I'm just starting out so not sure what the rate is but I would suggest speaking to the salon - is this a new room or has it been running before if it as they may already be a small base of clients

Sorry pressed too soon... Was going to day check it all out first weigh your options up and don't rush in - do you have a client base at the min, if you haven't I'd prob suggest setting up mobile while you build your customers and look to renting a premises in a year or two when your fully up and running - it's a big risk to take if you've no guaranteed customers as they'll prib have you sign a contract of x amok t of months/years

That's how I started? If rent is 100 a week then get shellac as long as Ur trained in manicure u will be ok? Charge 20 for it then u need 1 client a day to pay rent? We didn't have shellac when I started & yet I have 1200 clients on my books? Nothing ventured nothing gained?! Oh & I was & still am a single mum if 3? It was a risk but if you are prepared to work hard it will pay off x

My rent is a lot higher than yours. It was a gamble but it had paid off and I love it 😃

I dont have any clients at all only family so that doesnt count lol
Have never heard of the grant will have to have a look.
A loan would be they way to start up but do I really want to start up in debt.

at least if i start mobile i havnt got any rent to pay.

The salon were happy for a months trial before going in to a full contract.

I dont know if they would accept a % of treatments instead of rent, Is that cheeky to ask that.

They did have a girl doing nails before, they still had her price list and it was only manicures not lp or gel or anything.

They said they were not in a position to employ a tech so have to rent the room

Sorry for the rambles lol

Latest posts

Back