Renting a room!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Princessstacie

Reaction score
Hello everyone.
I have a meeting with a lady who owns a salon near to me and is renting out one of her rooms.she sounds realy nice and understands that i only want to be there part time due to my daughter etc. She said she would 'probably' charge around 50 pound a day for the room.Is this the going rate? Also when would i expect to be making money? I understand its a slow process to build up clientelle and i already have a few that are willing to come to me rather than me still going to them. I dont want to rush things and expect the impossible but want to make sure i am prepared! What would i expect that 50 pound to include? I think i am ranting on a bit but dont want to go into this with my eyes closed!

Another thing, i have a meeting with someone from the FSB next tuesday and wondered if they are worth signing up for? I have heard some people praising them upbut when i recieved a phonecall from one of their people it sounded a bit like they were just trying to sell something to me rather than provide me with a service if this makes sense?:irked:

Sorry for the ranting! All help will be much appreciated!
xxxx:hug:

well personally I think it's a bit steep, but it depends on the area you live in. I was speaking to someone about renting a room and she was asking for £25 a day or £80 a week, and I was looking at shops to rent and I found one for £3600 a yr which is £60 ish a week, I know you have the other over heads rates water utilities etc but still ???

:cry: i did think that was a bit steep but dont know what the going rate is in our area. i have a meeting with her on thurs so il see what she says and see if she is willing to lower it for me. any advice with regards to the fsb?
all info greatly appreciated! x x x:rolleyes:

I'm in Southampton and pay half that, it does sound very expensive to me, especially as you're more or less starting from scratch. Maybe you could start off on a commission basis, then move to a daily rate when you've built up your client base and are a bit busier.

You need to understand what the £50 covers.

Maybe she is going to do all the advertising as that costs a bit
Insurance?
Drinks for clients?
Take the booking for you
Use of the phone
Use of the credit card machine
Stock

I think a percentage works out better for both parties but have a chat and see what you can both come up with,

HTH

C x

When you use a treatment room paying with percentage how would it work if you were not there e.g holiday or illness?

Wouldn't the landlord feel they were missing out on some money?

I just wondered because I am considering something similar.

Thanks

x

hi everyone i went for a meeting woth her today and i've decided to work on a commision style basis of 60/40 until i build my clientelle up. Im so excited but in another way really nervous! its going to be a brand new salon im working in. i have another meeting with her next thurs to give her and a colleague a manicure, pedicure and facial. Although i havent done a facial in ages and feel i'll forget the massage moves!:o guess ill have to keep practising for a week until im confident, at the end of the day if i cant give a colleague a good facial how am i going to give a paying client a good one! :confused: How exciting though! This is my chance to throw myself in and give it everything i have so wish me luck!

Also has anyone got any advice about the fsb? is it worth joining them?
Thanks everyone x

Latest posts

Back