Repeat client who wants only 'offer' prices even though offer is over

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riva

Reaction score
When we opened, we had a few offers going. Since then the discounts have decreased (eg instead of 40%, now 20%, or no offers depending on service). I have some repeat clients, who presumably like our services, that seem to think that we should keep the original offers going for them.

I did it the first time they came back but the increase in price is very reasonable and makes me feel like they only value the price and not the add on value I give. Just had an email stating 'shame as I'm a repeat client' when we said that it has to be the new but smaller discounted price.

Part of me feels that I should suck it up as its money in my pocket versus none- important for a new business. But feeling undervalued makes me feel like I should stick to my guns.

What would you do in these instances?

Id stick to your guns. Im not a massive fan of offers tbh.... there's always people who just shop around at the offer salons.

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

They can't class themselves as a regular client for coming twice and if they aren't willing too come if offers aren't on they aren't either, stick to your guns lovely you have your treatments at a set price for a reason xxxx

Sent from my D5803 using SalonGeek mobile app

I think you're right not to continue to let them have the offer price however have you thought of providing a loyalty scheme for loyal return clients? I never do offers because as you've found you can end up with people just wanting cheap all the time. However I do a generous loyalty scheme which they love and of course it lets them know you value their custom.

i wouldn't offer her an extended discount. it's not fair on all your other loyal clients who are happy to pay your proper price, and in any case you never know who's talking to who and that can make for a sticky situation iykwim.

I never do offers that discount the price - I'd rather add something to a treatment for an offer.

The loyalty scheme I run is also popular and I have noticed some not so regular clients coming more often because of it.

I think you should stick to your guns. If you let them her have the old offer prices even the once, she'll think you're a walk over and come to expect it.

Sometimes I get people phoning me and trying to barter (I am in London after all :green:) I think it's the height of rudeness.

Someone yesterday rang saying "i hear you have an offer on full head foils".... i said we didn't and told her the price, she didnt want to know. So obviously once the offer stopped she wouldnt come back again. Just sort a loyalty scheme for your true customers

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

what would tesco say if you went up to the till with 2 steaks and said these were on 2 for 1 last week so i want them at that price now, after all i do shop here every week?? lol

what would tesco say if you went up to the till with 2 steaks and said these were on 2 for 1 last week so i want them at that price now, after all i do shop here every week?? lol

You took the words right out of my mouth

Was just about to post similar and saw yours :)

I've learnt with offers to always add something on, rather than reduce price. Not only are you not 'losing' money as such but it gets rid of those just seeking lower prices.

Maybe say to her, unfortunately we are not currently running that offer but we will have some more great offers coming up in the future! Then run an offer relatively soon after the enquiry.

If she's only after a cheap price, maybe she's not the client for you.

I think loyalty cards are great as well because they really do reward the actual regulars (not people that have come just twice..) and you can decide what it is you want to reward them with

I've learnt with offers to always add something on, rather than reduce price. Not only are you not 'losing' money as such but it gets rid of those just seeking lower prices.

Maybe say to her, unfortunately we are not currently running that offer but we will have some more great offers coming up in the future! Then run an offer relatively soon after the enquiry.

If she's only after a cheap price, maybe she's not the client for you.

I think loyalty cards are great as well because they really do reward the actual regulars (not people that have come just twice..) and you can decide what it is you want to reward them with

This is good advice. When someone pays a discounted price for goods or services, those goods or services will never be worth more than that discounted price to them again.

Better to give clients a little extra something for the same price, then their perceived value of your services is not diminished.

From experience I can vouch for this. I had offers on and client just expected to pay those price. Silly enough I let it happen and when iv tried to put it up they have left.but they do not valid my business they text at 10pm to cancel or just turn up and say ohh I'm not going to have this treatment today. I have a lot still paying old prices and trying to up it I find really hard. This adding a treatment on sounds a better idea I think I will try that in future too.

From experience I can vouch for this. I had offers on and client just expected to pay those price. Silly enough I let it happen and when iv tried to put it up they have left.but they do not valid my business they text at 10pm to cancel or just turn up and say ohh I'm not going to have this treatment today. I have a lot still paying old prices and trying to up it I find really hard. This adding a treatment on sounds a better idea I think I will try that in future too.

Take a deep breath and say
"As of xx date I will be having a small price increase"
Make a price list with the new prices on and don't waver from it.

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

That's good advice. Am sticking to my guns. We do have a loyalty card which I think is not bad. London is 'haggle' zone though. Even have had people calling up to say their friends/sister etc paid x price- no way they are going to pay anymore.

Then the really nice ones come in and make it all seem worthwhile....

That's good advice. Am sticking to my guns. We do have a loyalty card which I think is not bad. London is 'haggle' zone though. Even have had people calling up to say their friends/sister etc paid x price- no way they are going to pay anymore.

Then the really nice ones come in and make it all seem worthwhile....

Ooo I'm a London girl and my clients wouldn't dream of haggling! I think when you make clear, firm prices and never back down/alter them they know that you are a professional entity and would be laughed out of the shop.

Even for friends/family have a set discount (if you do one) rather than 10% one day, 20% the next depending on how you are feeling. Clarity is key!

I do have clients that only come when I have certain deals on but that's fine by me as any offers are on my terms, not theirs.

I occasionally get haggling, but I get bartering quite a bit, ie. Service exchange.

I like a bit of bartering. I do this on a formal basis with a company called Bartercard and on an informal basis with trades people. I don't really want a treatment swap - what if they're rubbish or they think I am lol!

Vic x

I like a bit of bartering. I do this on a formal basis with a company called Bartercard and on an informal basis with trades people. I don't really want a treatment swap - what if they're rubbish or they think I am lol!

Vic x

How do you find Bartercard? It's something I've been considering for a while now.

It works well for us. We restrict it to Monday to Thursday bookings so we're not clogging up the Friday/weekend bookings. I paid for all the food for my 50th on barter and twice a year treat my daughter (ace employee) and her partner to a night in a hotel amongst many other things.

I've got a lot of credit with them at the moment and so I'm looking at cctv and/or an alarm system through them, leaving my cash in the bank.

Please feel free to pm me if you would like more info. I've been with them for quite a few years now.

Vic x

Latest posts

Back