Retail Or Not Retail?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moanie

Reaction score
Just out of interest how many of you lovely geeks retail. Do you have a favourit or best seller item or after care packs that you have put together. Do you find it difficult to retail or easy?? :eek: i tend to sell mostly solar oil but would love to branch out into other stuff.

Is this in regards to mobile techs?

I retail loads and to to be honest it's not a selling thing, it's just passing on information. For example, with the cold winter we have had everyone is suffering from drier skin than normal. All you have to do is either explain to your clients about your products, or even better give them a free demo ... on one hand only. Exfoliate their hand and then apply a moisturiser, the difference is amazing and they will be hooked. when it comes to paying just remind them, "shall I add the products to your bill?" Sometimes they say yes and sometime no, but if you don't ask you don't get lol!

remember as well to explain the features and benefits ie this has abc in which is great because it does xyz.

Add a few products every couple of months so you have something new to offer and so they will add to their collection, and you get to know what's hot and what's not with your clients! If you work in a salon have a well stocked display that entices them, and rotate it regularly.

Danger Mouse said:
Is this in regards to mobile techs?
i suppose so, salon owners have nice displays so that helps them. mobile techs have to rely on gift of the gab lol!

You could put together a little hamper basket with stuff in, as long as you make it interesting they will be interested!

remember the AIDA principle I discussed in my article about advertsing?
Grab their ATTENTION - have a pretty display. doesn't have to be huge
Get their INTEREST - talk about the product, features and benefits
Make them have a DESIRE for it - give them a free demo
Make them take ACTION - "shall I take for that?" or even better "how would you like to pay for that today?"

Ive only just started retailing a few products- ive sold a few items and have just brought a few more "lines".

I just start of with a few of each and if they sell well I get some more and if they don't im not stuck with lots of stock and wasted money.

I have a few little displays that I get out (my nail station is in my bedroom) everytime I have a client and then put them away again after :D

unforunatly, can't carry lots of stuff around with me being mobile so i can't really retail much, i always carry solar oil, and hand cream to sell. solar oil always seems to sell.

If you are salon or home based get yourself a solar stand, everything on it will walk out the door, (hopefully paid for!)
I'm mobile now and have a huge 2 part tool box on wheels, I keep my retail stock in the top bit. Stanley do some great boxes like this.:hug:

I retail the very small bottles of solar oil to all my gel nail cients and also to manicure clients as a homecare treatment.
I sell Alida french polish kits (all you need the pink white top coat and guides)
The spray tan I use comes as a gel formula in a pump action bottle i retail this to.

Can be hard to hift them at times but not everyone is willing to pay where im based :green:

I have recently done the reality means retail course with creative nail design and it has given my confidence a real boost. In the salon i stock everything there is to stock,and as long as you explain the products well enough to clients they usually end up buying the products at the end of the service. I also make the products easy for them to try for example hand washes and lotions in the bathroom. Also make sure you have enough stock because there is nothing worse then trying to sell a product and when the client wants to purchase it you havent got any in stock.:)

Sassy Hassy said:
You could put together a little hamper basket with stuff in, as long as you make it interesting they will be interested!

remember the AIDA principle I discussed in my article about advertsing?
Grab their ATTENTION - have a pretty display. doesn't have to be huge
Get their INTEREST - talk about the product, features and benefits
Make them have a DESIRE for it - give them a free demo
Make them take ACTION - "shall I take for that?" or even better "how would you like to pay for that today?"

This works well for me when I'm mobile, I have got a large storage box with a retail price list stuck on the top. I sell buffers, acetone free polish remover, stickey, supershiney, toughen up and all the solar range of which I have in mini size and bigger size. When I'm packing away I plonk the box in front of them to have a look and it works for me every time! Now I'm doing the spa mani/pedi I'm going to add some of these retail items too

put it this way when you go to mcdonalds and thell ask if you want large it doesn't come as a surprise so why would it when you offer extras you can double your money on some retail products

go for it why not

Retail every time, you can really bump your cash flow up thsi way, as long as it is eye catchign adn you believe in your product you wont have a problem selling.

use a product as stated and see what it does then you can recomnded it to your clients then try another one.

Try pretty little bags made of muslin clients love these and cheap to find on ebay.

Latest posts

Back