Salon experience?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbeauty82

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Not sure if this is the right place to post this(apologies if not!) I qualified in level 2 beauty therapy last June and im just about to finish level 3 Swedish massage in a fee wks,im doing a gel polish course in a wk and enhancements later this year,phew!lol. Anyway thing is i would love to work from home so i can plan appts round my family as im a single parent and dont have alot of help childcare wise,but when speaking to a friend other day,she made me feel like it was necessary to gain salon experience first as i won't know what im doing! I know it won't b easy but im willing to put in the effort to try and make it work. I have looked for work/room in salon to rent but had no luck :(
Is my friend right? Has everyone here had salon exp or did any of u just go for it?

Sorry for long post,any advice appreciated xx

Sent from my GT-S5830i using SalonGeek mobile app

Personally I would say salon experience helps you out a fair bit. If not then at least some courses from your chosen product providers etc as college classes are quite basic. I've learnt double out of college than what i learnt in it!
Also this site is amazing, look at the tutorials etc.
If you've got a business head and your totally confident with your treatments then go for it.

Laura xx

definitely get yourself some salon experience you learn so much treatment wise and the day to day running of a salon it will make it far easier when the time comes to go it alone x

I would say if you can get some salon experience do. My main reason for this is things tend to run very smoothly in college and on courses as its a learning environment. But when you finish and are in a salon environment you learn it is a really hard job to please women and men every day. I found it invaluable to learn how to deal with awkward clients and unhappy customers. Good luck in what ever you decide to do 😊 x

As said above, definitely get some salon experience. It really teaches what you need to do and you'll learn how to approach different issues. It will also teach you what not to do!

I do believe in "going for it" but I think salon experience is invaluable, even just part time for a while would be very beneficial.

Thank you everyone for yr advice,i am quite confident in my treatments but as u all say a salon environment is different to college so i think i'll keep looking for some part time work before going it alone,thanx again :) x

Sent from my GT-S5830i using SalonGeek mobile app

I would say definitely get some experience first as the things you pick up are invaluable.

I have worked in salons and several spas and learned so much. Not to mention working in a spa in particular really helps you to make sure your timing for treatments is spot on as there is such a fast turnaround of clients. You have to work to military precision!

When working for yourself this kind of thing really helps as you can be more productive in your own business when you are 'regimented', which of course means more money for you.

Also, salons and spas send you on various product training courses which are all strings to your bow!

Good luck xx

like the previous posters have said, salon experience is very valuable, but not absolutely neccessary.

I was pregnant when I finished my training and had no salon experience. I started working from home when my little one was 3 months old and I found it so much more relaxed being able to schedule my work around his feeds etc.!
However, because I didn't have much experience at the time I did advertise my services as "looking for models" for the first few months and only charged the money that the products I used were worth. However, all of my clients tipped me generously so I still made the same amount I would have made if I had charged full price :).

So I'd say it's absolutely doable!

In the meantime, get all the client based work you can get at College and practise on all your friends and family! That already helps a lot and will make you feel more confident and will help you get your timings up.

Good luck :)!

Latest posts

Back