How can I build Confidence?? How did u all build confidence in this nail industry?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trina Jordan

Littlemama503
Reaction score
Hi everyone!!! I hope everyone is doing great!! I need some advice I am a Nail Technician I am in a new Salon I've been here for 7 or 8 months now and every time I have worked on a clients when it comes to doing Acrylics some like how I lay the Acrylic and some don't I Get it I'm not going to be able to please everybody and they also complain to the owner about my filing and shaping. So needless to say I've been takin off of doing Acrylics I'm only doing gel manicures the owner is really nice and patient with me she wants me to bring people in and practice. I practice on myself and my fake hand all the time but need human hands my problem is my family and friends don't support me they like getting their nails done but won't come in at all 😞 I don't know what to do this sucks right now because they don't get to many people wanting gel Manicures at the salon we get mostly Acrylics so I'm not making much money on top of that it's a commission base shop I work in ugh! 😩 I need help!!

Last edited:
Training is the only way to solve these issues, proper basics if necessary or skills refresher if required, I'm not sure of your current training level.

If every client complained I would be very concerned. Are you checking with clients as you go along? No about application techniques, that's not their business, but about length and their required shape? After application I file and shape the first nail and double check with the client that its what they expect, adjust as necessary. No opportunity for complaints when finished.

Training is the only way to solve these issues, proper basics if necessary or skills refresher if required, I'm not sure of your current training level.

If every client complained I would be very concerned. Are you checking with clients as you go along? No about application techniques, that's not their business, but about length and their required shape? After application I file and shape the first nail and double check with the client that its what they expect, adjust as necessary. No opportunity for complaints when finished.
Thank you for your response It's not about the training at all I've been doing nails for 13 years off and on and yes I check with them about the length and the filing and the shaping I always ask them how short or long do they want their nails and how do they want them shaped the problem is I have a physical disability so I file like I sit my body has accommodated my disability I have cerebral palsy so when I sit in my chair I sit a little crooked so when I go in and file that's the way the nails come out sometimes the shaping is off it's not every client that complains a lot of the clients are used to the other ladies that have been working there for a long time and how they do nails but every Nail Tech is different the owner of the salon where I work has been trying to explain to people the way I sit in the way my body has accommodated my disability that's how the nails come out and it's nothing that I can do about it!!! Well I shouldn't say it's nothing I can do about it I just don't know what to do about it lol And they never tell me about it they pretend to like it meaning the clients but then go tell the owner about it that they don't like their nails!! Again like I said I can't please everybody but at the same time this has bought my confidence down to the point where I'm not sure if I'm going to do this anymore!!!

Last edited:

16623248096606535795199633573822.jpg

That is picture of my Nails above I just wanted to show u and give you an Ideal or look at my work!

20220818_005713.jpg

Hi @Trina Jordan,

I am also disabled and found filing and shaping awkward at the start. I have found that it's ok to get the client to move too. While I sit, which is comfortable to me, I also ask the client to move their hands so that they are straight on.
Shape slowly, check the shape regularly so you don't over file. Move the finger and turn the hand round, up and down to look at all angles. While you have been doing nails for thirteen years, it has been on and off - you may not have forgotten the little details, but your body will have because of your disability.

Now you have been taken off acrylics, your only option is to practice at home. Get yourself a kit and offer a discount to family and friends. I'm sure they will jump at that chance. Practice hands are great for displaying your work, but they are much too uniform and don't allow for different shapes/flatness or curves, that come with a natural nail.

Confidence will come with practice, but just be aware that things will only improve if you tweak your routine. It is no good, just doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

Take a deep breath and know that you can work around disabilities 😊 x

Hi @Trina Jordan,

I am also disabled and found filing and shaping awkward at the start. I have found that it's ok to get the client to move too. While I sit, which is comfortable to me, I also ask the client to move their hands so that they are straight on.
Shape slowly, check the shape regularly so you don't over file. Move the finger and turn the hand round, up and down to look at all angles. While you have been doing nails for thirteen years, it has been on and off - you may not have forgotten the little details, but your body will have because of your disability.

Now you have been taken off acrylics, your only option is to practice at home. Get yourself a kit and offer a discount to family and friends. I'm sure they will jump at that chance. Practice hands are great for displaying your work, but they are much too uniform and don't allow for different shapes/flatness or curves, that come with a natural nail.

Confidence will come with practice, but just be aware that things will only improve if you tweak your routine. It is no good, just doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

Take a deep breath and know that you can work around disabilities 😊 x
Hi thank you for the advice!!! I have everything I need here at my house to do nails so I don't have to buy any kits or anything as far as family and friends the owner is offering discounts she's letting me do full sets for half off they still don't want to come in the problem is they don't want to pay me period our full set start out at $50 where I work she's giving them half off so it'll be $25 plus tax in fact she's letting me do all nail services for half off my family and friends still don't want to come in because it's me doing it they don't support my career they never have my family or friends they have told me to my face they want it done meaning their nails but they're not going to pay me!! In fact they do get them done my own mother don't come to me!! 😠 I don't know if you looked through this thread I post pictures of my work and yes the shaping may be a little off but my nails don't look that bad Now they'll pay a total stranger but because it's me they won't 😞 so the only thing I could do is practice on myself and my practice hand!!! So at this point maybe I'll have to try and do what you said as far as have the client move their Hands and try to keep and make sure the filing is correct and even on all sides and keep practicing on myself and my fake hand

Last edited:
Hi thank you for the advice!!! I have everything I need here at my house to do nails so I don't have to buy any kits or anything as far as family and friends the owner is offering discounts she's letting me do full sets for half off they still don't want to come in the problem is they don't want to pay me period our full set start out at $50 where I work she's giving them half off so it'll be $25 plus tax in fact she's letting me do all nail services for half off my family and friends still don't want to come in because it's me doing it they don't support my career they never have my family or friends they have told me to my face they want it done meaning their nails but they're not going to pay me!! In fact they do get them done my own mother don't come to me!! 😠 I don't know if you looked through this thread I post pictures of my work and yes the shaping may be a little off but my nails don't look that bad Now they'll pay a total stranger but because it's me they won't 😞 so the only thing I could do is practice on myself and my practice hand!!! So at this point maybe I'll have to try and do what you said as far as have the client move their Hands and try to keep and make sure the filing is correct and even on all sides and keep practicing on myself and my fake

Hi thank you for the advice!!! I have everything I need here at my house to do nails so I don't have to buy any kits or anything as far as family and friends the owner is offering discounts she's letting me do full sets for half off they still don't want to come in the problem is they don't want to pay me period our full set start out at $50 where I work she's giving them half off so it'll be $25 plus tax in fact she's letting me do all nail services for half off my family and friends still don't want to come in because it's me doing it they don't support my career they never have my family or friends they have told me to my face they want it done meaning their nails but they're not going to pay me!! In fact they do get them done my own mother don't come to me!! 😠 I don't know if you looked through this thread I post pictures of my work and yes the shaping may be a little off but my nails don't look that bad Now they'll pay a total stranger but because it's me they won't 😞 so the only thing I could do is practice on myself and my practice hand!!! So at this point maybe I'll have to try and do what you said as far as have the client move their Hands and try to keep and make sure the filing is correct and even on all sides and keep practicing on myself and my fake hand
It's a shame that they won't pay you. But, if you are practicing on yourself and a practice hand, you won't be getting any money anyway... I would just use them - and do them at home so they don't have to come to the salon.
Have you spoken to them and asked why they don't support your career choice? Explain to them that you need their support 🤔 failing that I would advertise on Facebook, models wanted. Then it's your choice of design, length and shape. Do them at a discounted price and explain that you will need them to be regular clients. You can then do infills and redesigns on them. This will give you a portfolio to show to your salon manager and potential clients x

Hun I have done that I have messaged them time and again telling them I need their support they do not care they have told me they have their nail techs that they go to they're not going to deter from that!! my Own mother she's the same way she's only going to go to her Nail Tech she don't care this is what I'm consistently being told by them so I'm at a point now where I'm tired of begging because I've been doing this for 13 years asking these folks the same people to come and support me this is what I have advertised on my Facebook time and again my family don't care about my struggle in all of this they never have in fact my mom wants me to get out of it her and my brothers everybody that's on my Facebook page are my friends and family I kid you not this is no lie they won't support they won't even support if I do it for free when I first got started I was willing to do nails for free do you think they came the answer is NO!!!
Screenshot_20220905-134102.png

It's a shame that they won't pay you. But, if you are practicing on yourself and a practice hand, you won't be getting any money anyway... I would just use them - and do them at home so they don't have to come to the salon.
Have you spoken to them and asked why they don't support your career choice? Explain to them that you need their support 🤔 failing that I would advertise on Facebook, models wanted. Then it's your choice of design, length and shape. Do them at a discounted price and explain that you will need them to be regular clients. You can then do infills and redesigns on them. This will give you a portfolio to show to your salon manager and potential clients x
IMG_20220818_022451_282.jpg

16624007112682431246494204556638.jpg
these are my nails that I did on myself they are a little over a week old which they don't look bad it's another picture that I posted up above that I did on a fake finger so my skills don't look that bad. Listen I just don't come from a very family-oriented supportive type of family or friends and that's how it's always been but when they need me I'm there for them!! So what I have done is stop being there for them and stop supporting them when they have careers or anything that they love to do or whatever is going on in their life I know it's bad and it sounds crazy (it's Sad) but that's how I'm being done so if they're going to treat me like that I treat them the same!!!

Last edited:
View attachment 213339 these are my nails that I did on myself they are a little over a week old which they don't look bad it's another picture that I posted up above that I did on a fake finger so my skills don't look that bad. Listen I just don't come from a very family-oriented supportive type of family or friends and that's how it's always been but when they need me I'm there for them!! So what I have done is stop being there for them and stop supporting them when they have careers or anything that they love to do or whatever is going on in their life I know it's bad and it sounds crazy (it's Sad) but that's how I'm being done so if they're going to treat me like that I treat them the same!!!
I don't think it's bad on your part at all. You have to do what you feel is right, to protect yourself.
It shows what a strong woman you are to persevere when surrounded by negativity. I hope that you get yourself back up to where you want to be x

Latest posts

Back