Salon mentor required

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twilight

Reaction score
Hi,

I have the opportunity to purchase a salon which I am looking at seriously. While I have plenty of experience in running small businesses, I have no experience in the salon/spa industry and am looking for a person/company to provide me with some industry specific mentoring.

For example, the salon currently "employs" their staff on a self employed basis, whereby they are still told what hours they work, but invoice the salon monthly for their hours worked. This seems highly dubious and a way of avoiding paying NI, but not sure if there is an industry standard here that I am missing.

Does anyone know of such a company or person who can offer a mentoring service?

thanks

I actually looked online for mentoring support some time ago, and found a company who offered it FOC. I never pursued it, and my business is growing well, but they weren't salon specific. If you have specific questions, here is a good place to ask as there are a lot of salon owners - myself included.

Regarding the situation you have commented on - it is not industry standard and there are a lot of threads on here from disgruntled 'employees' who are in fact self employed but are told hours to work etc. It is a massive no from HMRC, although it does seem to be fairly common practise!

Hope that helps,

Vicki x

Thanks for your reply,

With so many people apparently pushing staff to be self employed, I wasn't sure whether there was a loophole that was being exploited or just people pushing their luck! Sounds like the latter.

I'll post a few other queries over the next few days, until you kind people get fed up with me!

Thanks again

Latest posts

Back