Salon needing facelift

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

byKaty

Reaction score
So geeks, what do I do?

Salon is in need of a spruce up. Looks a bit tired and dated. Plain White walls which have got bit grubby looking, styling stations have these awful grey dress out shelves which make it look dated and we could use a proper sign out front. The girl who runs the beauty salon upstairs Had Sign Done Up But It Looks Like a temporary one and I think the hair salon should it's own sign.
The problem is, the Landords wife is ill in hospital. Dying actually, but no one knows when that will happen and the girls are reluctant to say to him about the re decorating at the minute.
I appreciate the stress he is under but I have a business to run and feel I won't attract the right clientele. I'm happy to get stuck in and do a spot of painting myself if he provides the materials. Would I be unreasonable to put this to him or should we wait?

So geeks, what do I do?

Salon is in need of a spruce up. Looks a bit tired and dated. Plain White walls which have got bit grubby looking, styling stations have these awful grey dress out shelves which make it look dated and we could use a proper sign out front. The girl who runs the beauty salon upstairs Had Sign Done Up But It Looks Like a temporary one and I think the hair salon should it's own sign.
The problem is, the Landords wife is ill in hospital. Dying actually, but no one knows when that will happen and the girls are reluctant to say to him about the re decorating at the minute.
I appreciate the stress he is under but I have a business to run and feel I won't attract the right clientele. I'm happy to get stuck in and do a spot of painting myself if he provides the materials. Would I be unreasonable to put this to him or should we wait?
If you are renting/self employed I'm pretty sure decorating is your responsibility full stop.

If you are renting/self employed I'm pretty sure decorating is your responsibility full stop.

Really? That's good to know!! From the way the girls were chatting before I was under impression he took care of it usually.
I've no problem with doing it myself but the other girls may need convincing, I think in past he has got someone in to do it for them.

Got ya. Like I say I'm not 100% sure... Maybe another geek can come along and verify.
The way I was looking at it is your landlord won't decorate your house when you rent it and when we have rented premises before you literally get it as seen. Everything from flooring to decorating is taken care of by you.

He may have done it in the past which is incredibly nice of him but I'm not sure he actually has to although if his happy to do so you may as well let him. I imagine at this difficult time I'd be pretty miffed if my renters come banging on at me about decorating when their are clearly far more important things in life. (Not saying you would but perhaps the other girls).

Got ya. Like I say I'm not 100% sure... Maybe another geek can come along and verify.
The way I was looking at it is your landlord won't decorate your house when you rent it and when we have rented premises before you literally get it as seen. Everything from flooring to decorating is taken care of by you.

He may have done it in the past which is incredibly nice of him but I'm not sure he actually has to although if his happy to do so you may as well let him. I imagine at this difficult time I'd be pretty miffed if my renters come banging on at me about decorating when their are clearly far more important things in life. (Not saying you would but perhaps the other girls).

No we Def don't want to say to him about it given circs though I do think they expect him to do it
As I've said I'm happy to have a go myself so I might say to him on Thurs when in if he has any objections to us doing it ourselves then see what the girls say.
We Def need proper signage as clients are saying they didn't know there was a salon there!! We are right in middle of a very busy carpark too!!

Last edited:
If he's your landlord, have a look at your lease. They are generally full repair, meaning it's the tenant's responsibility.

If he's your landlord, have a look at your lease. They are generally full repair, meaning it's the tenant's responsibility.

Good to know as then won't have to wait for him.

No we Def don't want to say to him about it given circs though I do think they expect him to do it
As I've said I'm happy to have a go myself so I might say to him on Thurs when in if he has any objections to us doing it ourselves then see what the girls say.
We Def need proper signage as clients are saying they didn't know there was a salon there!! We are right in middle of a very busy carpark too!!
Well if you need signage you know where I am :)

Depends what is in your lease agreement but often a landlord will stipulate nothing that alters the space dramatically so no additional lighting i.e a massive chandelier or a sauna without prior asking.
For example in my area (in a village) due to the unique structures of each collective business (tudor styled) I would not be able to dramatically alter the exterior or interior as it would not 'fit' the surroundings.

Depends what is in your lease agreement but often a landlord will stipulate nothing that alters the space dramatically so no additional lighting i.e a massive chandelier or a sauna without prior asking.
For example in my area (in a village) due to the unique structures of each collective business (tudor styled) I would not be able to dramatically alter the exterior or interior as it would not 'fit' the surroundings.

Well was thinking more along lines of a coat of paint and new sign. That's the main thing. We won't be looking to pull down walls or add new lighting or anything like that.

Well was thinking more along lines of a coat of paint and new sign. That's the main thing. We won't be looking to pull down walls or add new lighting or anything like that.

I would talk to him then and ask him how he is doing then add in about the salon (as he will most likely be still interested in his business/ property )the 'girls and I were thinking about painting the salon and sprucing up the signage' is that okay with you or do you have any suggestions.

I would talk to him then and ask him how he is doing then add in about the salon (as he will most likely be still interested in his business/ property )the 'girls and I were thinking about painting the salon and sprucing up the signage' is that okay with you or do you have any suggestions.

Yes that's basically what I was going to say. It's win/win as takes stress off him and if he has no objections then happy days!

Let us know how it goes. My landlord is responsible for outside and I'm responsible for in. I've made rooms where there was just a massive space and completely changed the inside but he was happy for me to do this.

Vic x

In all the salons I've ever worked in, and the one I currently have a lease for, the decoration has been the responsibility of the tenant. All exterior, barring the sign, is usually the landlords responsibility, but sometimes broken windows will be excluded, so that effectively becomes the tenant's responsibility as well!

If you sell the idea to him as one less thing for him to worry about, I'm sure he'll be happy for you to just get on with it. It can't be an easy period for him at the moment and you have to approach the subject as sensitively as possible.

The 'Life goes on' crack is a bitter pill when someone close to you is dying.

If you sell the idea to him as one less thing for him to worry about, I'm sure he'll be happy for you to just get on with it. It can't be an easy period for him at the moment and you have to approach the subject as sensitively as possible.

The 'Life goes on' crack is a bitter pill when someone close to you is dying.

Exactly!

Latest posts

Back