Salon not using full systems

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you - because Everything you just wrote makes me feel like its not me its them!!! I am leaving this place & going to (hopefully) a better place! I'm annoyed & disgusted..... they told me to forget everything I learned in school....there's so much more I could tell you that your head would spin! I understand a business has to watch expenditures- but not following manufacturers instructions- I believe there's a reason you have to wipe the nail- contaminated gel is a big part-- I do a few friends gel fills @ home- I use a different brand gel--I follow all the steps *use all the products-- I have No issues with lifting or gels popping off-- @ this salon I have a few clients with issues- they keep telling me its cause I don't do things "their" way--- everyone else (who have been doing nails longer-I just graduated in April) supposedly do not have the problems I am having.....I can't figure it out why- and after ALL the aggravation & self doubting this job in this salon has caused me in 13 weeks- I really don't care why anymore ***because when I do my nails or my friends nails @ home- we have no issues & my products aren't contaminated with DNA!!

Well done. Stick to your principles, don't compromise your service for the sake of helping someone else penny pinch. There are ways to work economically by using your products well.

I use Signature Gel Polish. On the course were shown how some of the products are the same but with a different label. For instance there wipe off and steriliser spray is exactly the same ingredients and there soak off is virtually just acetone with oil in it. So I do tend to use these to keep cost down. But I do always stick to right dehydrator, bonder, base coat, top coat, colour and cuticle oil. I find that customers actually find it more professional when all your products have the same label.

I work in a salon as a nail tech and the beauty therapists use two different systems. Irritates me to all ends. I could not be asses to say anything which is bad because I have found that people think gel polish is gel polish or Shellac. They don know the difference. So when their nails are getting damaged by bad practice, they blame all gel polish or Shellac. I get so Peed off.

Interesting- my salon carries Gelish, OPI Gelcolor, and Shellac-- we write up the ticket as Shellac no matter which brand used & it gets the clients all confused too I'm sure calling everything gel polish "Shellac". Ridiculous & I find it unprofessional!

What shall i do? I certainly don't want to lose my job but i also don't wasn't to use substandard products and risk my reputation also i provide my own insurance so its obviously invalidated if i use their products.
As long as you follow procedure your insurance is valid, no worries about that.
Please do double check that nail cleanse (whatever brand) contains acetone - this would be very strange, normally it's isopropyl alcohol.
I'm with NH Gelish and I compromise on cuticle remover and prep&wipe (I use regular stuff from Capital to keep the cost down, works great) but I would never compromise on base coat or top coat or change the procedure - I do everything exactly the way I was trained.
In your situation I would get absolutely necessary stuff for the system (which you seem to have) but would compromise as much as posible until the review (3 months in not that long) and then I would change conditions. The option is they either buy all the products for the system and split the money like they do now or you will use your own products getting better percentage. Meanwhile I would look for another salon just in case your salon wouldn't accept your conditions. Before you sign a new contract (doesn't matter who with) DO CHECK absolutely everything, also make sure it's written in your contract. When it comes to dispute it's usually the small stuff that's not in the contract. Never forget that it's your own business and you're the boss - you need to be treated like a partner, not the staff.
Oh and I don't get this my clients/their clients thing - all clients that use your services are YOUR clients by law. There's no need to be paid differently.
Good luck! :)

I may have the name wrong re the nail cleanse as its just written in marker on a pump bottle. But it definitely has acetone in I can smell it plus its used to dehydrate the nail and you can see it working but they also use it at the end to remove the tacky layer.

The only reason we have cuticle remover at all is because I complaned they wanted me to use cuticle massage cream!!! But the one they bought is the hara one in like a nail polish bottle and its rubbish i mean really really rubbish.

I am definitely not insured if im not using the CND lamp due to CND specifacly stating not to be used with any other lamp and i have to follow manufacturers guidelines.

Does anyone know where I can find something to print out showing why the full system especially the lamp is important?

Just an observation …it sounds like this thread is about NSS Salons. Salons not following proper protocol comes in all shapes, sizes and ethnicity.

Just an observation …it sounds like this thread is about NSS Salons. Salons not following proper protocol comes in all shapes, sizes and ethnicity.

What are NSS salon if you don't mind me asking? 😀

Well i was told once by a socalled salon owner this '' you can just buy an acrylic kit from superdrug''.That gel is not really what people want anymore and try and do two people in one go ! i just looked at her as if she gone completely barmey which she had!
I was then told by another recently that shellac training is total is a waste of money
And then if its not advice from the cuckoo's nest your being told by these salon owners then there after your cash box ripping you off for your nails and products.
I sometimes wonder how they have a salon. These salon owners are just jumping the bang wagon of nails. These corners or rentals are just for a quick buck
nowadays. And if you follow and not be careful your bust and there salon is still standing ............ that's cleared my chest! :irked:

Does anyone know where I can find something to print out showing why the full system especially the lamp is important?
I'm sure S2 will be happy to help you with this one :)

Latest posts

Back