Salon rent increases..

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kate8kate0

Reaction score
Hello Geeks,

I'm in the process of opening my first salon and I'm meeting up with a letting agent (not the landlord) tomorrow to finalise things. Q1. Is it reasonable/usual to ask for landlord to be there?

The letting agent has negotiated a year of just paying my rent monthly before I sign a lease..which gives me a year to see if things work out before I'm tied in? Is this a good thing?

Also, speaking to neighbouring shop owners, I've been doing a bit of detective work..apparently the premises has been vacant for 1/2 years. The premises used to be a building contractors. However alledgedly they moved out because the landlord had put the rent up, what sounds like, too much.

The point I'm trying to make is, I,m suspicious the landlord may try and do this to who ever is the next tennant i.e. me! What can I do to prevent this. It is such a great shop, low rent.

Any advice greatly appreciated. This seems like a minefield of sinister possibilities!

Unless the landlord is loaded, if it hasn't been let in 1-2 years he/she will be desperate to get someone in there. I wouldn't worry about it too much at this stage, there's a chance that they might try and put the rent up once you've been there a year but you can cross that bridge when you get to it.

Unless they're totally unreasonable I can't imagine a landlord putting the rent up so much that you can not afford to stay there.

Hello Geeks,

I'm in the process of opening my first salon and I'm meeting up with a letting agent (not the landlord) tomorrow to finalise things. Q1. Is it reasonable/usual to ask for landlord to be there?

The letting agent has negotiated a year of just paying my rent monthly before I sign a lease..which gives me a year to see if things work out before I'm tied in? Is this a good thing?

Also, speaking to neighbouring shop owners, I've been doing a bit of detective work..apparently the premises has been vacant for 1/2 years. The premises used to be a building contractors. However alledgedly they moved out because the landlord had put the rent up, what sounds like, too much.

The point I'm trying to make is, I,m suspicious the landlord may try and do this to who ever is the next tennant i.e. me! What can I do to prevent this. It is such a great shop, low rent.

Any advice greatly appreciated. This seems like a minefield of sinister possibilities!

I don't think Landlord needs to be there. You can put something in your rental agreement now to include how they will calculate the rent increase for when you sign a longer lease. If they are going to kick you out and get a higher paying tenant, there's not alot you can do. However if this is how they run their business, do you really want them as a Landlord?

Low rent = low maintenance from Landlord ??? something to think about, does your monthly rental include repairs by landlord? if so, will they do it in a reasonable timeframe? if the room working properly can you get insurance for the room?

Hello Geeks,

This is good in that it doesn't tie you in. And it's bad for the same reason - it doesn't tie them in. So they could up your rent, or get a better offer and ask you to leave.

If it was a building contractors I am assuming you are doing lots of work on the property. Your best bet (if this is the case) would be to sign at least five years and get a rent reduction or waiver on the first few months to ease your cash flow.

You should always get good legal advice. It may cost, but it could save you a lot of money.

Latest posts

Back