Sanitising tools

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmmaLF

Reaction score
I keep my nail tools (cuticle pusher,clippers etc) in a glass of diluter barbacide but its turning them rusty! I'm at my wits end I want to keep them soaking in something so they're clean between clients (I clean them properly at end of day or when I have a break) I was taught in college to use barbacide/Mundo but obviously this Is wrong.
My question is what does everyone else do???

soaking will rust any metal tools and also damage most nail files, take a read of the article below, it will give you some great insights into looking after you tools and stay safe and clean in the salon environment

http://www.salongeek.com/threads/science-topic-sanitation-in-the-salon.182520/

hope it helps

I thought that too but I see so many salons I've been in soaking there's and in college too. I don't understad how there's aren't rusting?
Thank you so much. I won't be soaking anymore I was just paranoid clients would think my tools aren't clean as I've had some ask do I not soak my tools in disinfectant.

I knew of salons that replace tools monthly... doesn't make it right just for appearances...
From memory this has to be taught in some countries as this is the legal teaching requirement rather than what is correct for the nail enhancement industry

Think of it like this, is a hospital theatre room not clean because they don't fill and soak the whole room with disinfectant?
Or is the hospital grade disinfectant they they spray and scrub it with enough?

Your tools should never be used in an invasive way so we are only ever dealing with surface bacteria...

hope that helps

So how do you recommend storing them? And would you recommend just spraying them before you start a client and after you finish?

We leave our tools soaking in barbacide and they don't rust.

We leave our tools soaking in barbacide and they don't rust.

That's what I can't understand I hear So many people saying they do this. Could it be the water I'm diluting it with?

I would say it's most likely a product going on the tools before they go in the barbacide, we did have trouble before we realised the salt in the hand scrub was causing rusting

Our tools are fine in barbicide but rust in Mundo.

Vic x

I would say it's most likely a product going on the tools before they go in the barbacide, we did have trouble before we realised the salt in the hand scrub was causing rusting

I haven't used the scrub in months and it hasn't been near any of the tools. I also give them a clean before they go into it so I know its not that,thanks for the suggestion though

Our tools are fine in barbicide but rust in Mundo.

Vic x

Ahh that's probably it, it was mundo that I used, I work in a hairdressers and that's what the boss uses, I'll have to get her to get a bottle of barbacide not mundo.
Funny cos the bottle of mundo says contains rust inhibitors so I thought it would be ok

Ahh that's probably it, it was mundo that I used, I work in a hairdressers and that's what the boss uses, I'll have to get her to get a bottle of barbacide not mundo.
Funny cos the bottle of mundo says contains rust inhibitors so I thought it would be ok

It is not good practice to leave tools soaking in disinfectant as it can damage tools and is not necessary.
Good quality disinfectants require only a short contact time with tools in order to have effective action.
If you follow instructions given by the manufacturer you should be fine.

Remember, tools should be washed before being immersed in any disinfectant.

AND some disinfectants stipulate that the tools should be rinsed after being soaking before they are re-used.

I was taught that simply scrubbing tools gets most of the nasty stuff off of them.

Normal practice for me is

Scrub thoroughly with CND scentsations hand cleaner and a nail brush
Submerge in barbicide or Mundo for approximately an hour (but no longer than 4 hours from memory)
Remove tools, rinse in clean water and dry
Spray with disinfectant spray prior to use on clients

I have two sets of tools on the go so just swap them over between clients

X

Acel is the liquid we Use and only for 5 mins

I was taught that simply scrubbing tools gets most of the nasty stuff off of them.

Normal practice for me is

Scrub thoroughly with CND scentsations hand cleaner and a nail brush
Submerge in barbicide or Mundo for approximately an hour (but no longer than 4 hours from memory)
Remove tools, rinse in clean water and dry
Spray with disinfectant spray prior to use on clients

I have two sets of tools on the go so just swap them over between clients

X
You have been taught well!

It is not good practice to leave tools soaking in disinfectant as it can damage tools and is not necessary.
Good quality disinfectants require only a short contact time with tools in order to have effective action.

I think it depends what you use. The hospital grade disinfectant soak I use is 15min or you can leave the tools submerged until next use. It doesn't damage the tools, nothing rusts or dulls. I've been using it for several years already. I leave my tools submerged, I take out all tools necessary in front of each client, its something that I like to show them. Personally, I dont have the storage space to keep all my tools if they're not in the disinfect.

I think it depends what you use. The hospital grade disinfectant soak I use is 15min or you can leave the tools submerged until next use. It doesn't damage the tools, nothing rusts or dulls. I've been using it for several years already. I leave my tools submerged, I take out all tools necessary in front of each client, its something that I like to show them. Personally, I dont have the storage space to keep all my tools if they're not in the disinfect.
Same here with barbicide. Never had a problem.

Vic x

Latest posts

Back