School holidays: how do you cope with childcare?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mobile Manicure

Reaction score
I'm at my wits end and need to vent. I work mobile (clue is in the name) and I've got quite a few clients booked in for the school holidays already.

My parents are dead and MIL is 7 miles away and doesn't drive. I cant drop my kids off at hers as FIL is barred from seeing the grandkids for various reasons, mostly to do with his nastiness and deep rooted psychological problems caused, or rather helped along by alcohol abuse.

I rang MIL today and gave her 2 dates in August and asked her if she would mind doing some babysitting mornings (4 hours max) to help me out so I can visit my clients.

"oh dear, I think I'm out to lunch on those days, sorry. I'll have to see and let you know the day before". Well that's no bleeding good to me as these clients are already booked in and I can't let them down the day before.

Most of my friends are fortunate enough to be going away so they can't help and the ones that are around I've given up asking as there's always some excuse.

Now you might think that people are avoiding my 2 girls but honestly they are really well behaved and no trouble, at worst perhaps a little too chatty! They are 10 and 4.

Holiday clubs round here charge £14 per child per half day. Just not worth it as I'd be lucky to break even on most days.

There is no other family. I feel like crying. :sad::cry::cry:

Sorry about my long rant but i have no one to talk to. Hubby works away all week and is only home on the weekends.:sad::irked:

Do you have any good childminders locally? I don't live near any family so don't have the luxury of that choice.

70% of my childminders fees are paid by tax credits so you could perhaps look into that.

I have chosen which days I'm going to work in the summer and they will be the only days I will take bookings for and so far clients are very happy to work with me on that :)

Could u work from home maybe? X

Hi hun

As above you really need to decide on what days you want to work and only book clients in on those days. With regards to childcare you could start with childminders, they may be slightly cheaper than a holiday club. If all else fails you may need to stick to weekend work through the hols, i know this isnt ideal with your hubby being away all week but to get you through the holiday period it may be something you can consider.

My hubby works shifts and weekends, isnt home much and often its one in one out sadly but we make it work (somehow lol), its always harder through the hols isnt it. Hopefully in the next few weeks i'll have my home salon sorted so this opens me up a bit more. My family all live up in London but even so I wouldnt want to call on them to help unless i really had too... bless my parents they did it once with me and my sis lmao! Perhaps to tide you over you could politely explain to your clients the situation and hopefully theyll understand and be happy to come to you at home in the interim.

Good luck hun and hope it works out for you lovey.

Thank you for your replies. We can't get tax credits, we're over the threshold (sounds great in theory but its not). We're effectively paying £1000 rent per month plus utilities, council tax etc. so my husband can work and a massive mortgage. Childminders here are £5 per hour per child!
Our house is small, no room for doing treatments at home. :sad:

Most of my clients don't like weekends for treatments, I've tried before. it's their family time, and mine too.

I'm going to drop them off at the zoo next week and pick them up at the end of August. I don't think anyone will notice they don't belong and hopefully they'll get fed! :D

I'm going to drop them off at the zoo next week and pick them up at the end of August. I don't think anyone will notice they don't belong and hopefully they'll get fed! :D

Now thats an option I never thought of :lol::lol:

How about your neighbours? Maybe you could ask a friendly one to look after them a couple days? x

With it being the school holidays, do you know anyone with a responsible 16 year old daughter/son who wouldnt mind earning a bit of spending money for a few hours babysitting?

Also I know its a long shot, but have you thought of approaching a self employed childminder, explain you have a couple of one off dates that you are struggling to afford childcare for, and would they consider a trade swap for those dates?

I really feel your frustration, I was a single parent for 9 years and really struggled to balance work and childcare. It sounds like you're just going to have to advertise your services term time only, and wait a few years to expand your business. I hope you find a solution to your problem :D

Thanks everyone. Our neighbour has 6 kids, 2 of which are babysitting age but unfortunately they all take off to their holiday home in the summer. The two other 16/18 year olds on our road are off away too. I texted one other girl who is a clients daughter to ask her but I've heard nothing back. My other neighbours all work.

I cried on the phone to hubby before and he just says don't worry about it and get on with offering waxing to clients as I've just done the course and i should get on with it.

It's like talking to a brick wall!! I can't get child cover for the services I currently provide, let alone taking on more work. I honestly dont think he listened to a word i said. What an idiot.

How can I not worry when I'm going to have to let my clients down and end up losing them for good. He'll soon be eating his words when there's no food on the table when he gets home on the weekends!

hi, could you not do them in the evening pop them to bed early ok maybe not the 10yr old but she could watch a dvd in bed i know you said no room in house but surly ur clients wouldnt mind if you explained, my hubbys in the forces and never here, i have 3 girls 5,3 & 2 so run them ragged all day and then they can have an early night, do clients from 7.30pm.

its only for a few weeks be honest with your clients im sure they will help you sort something out.

Do you have any friends with older teens that will be happy to earn a few pounds babysitting at yours ?

Can your hubby not take some holiday to look after the girls. That is what i get my hubby to do when i have to work over the hols. Obviously if he is self employed and can't afford it then that's a no goer!

Have u tryed looking in the papers etc for a actual babysitter ,i use to have a client in her late 50s who was a self employed babysitter :-D

Sent from my LT18i using SalonGeek

Yes Hubby is self employed so holidays and days off are not paid for. Would set us back even more. Believe me, I've tried all of the above apart from finding someone in the paper. Won't have a stranger look after my kids or in my house.

What I am really upset about is my MOther in laws attitude. Shes retired and sits on her arse all day and just goes lunching with friends. I expected a bit of support from her but she's such a lazy cow and just can't be bothered.

Please no one post back how wonderful and supportive their mother in laws are or I will slit my wrists!:(

I know you said your hubby is a brick wall but here's what I would do in your shoes.

Phone hubby & explain you're planning your diary out for summer & say you're stuck on two dates, either be has to take Annual Leave OR he has to phone his mum & get her to confirm she definitely will do it (not tell you the day before!!)

If you can't get anywhere with the MIL always send in the OH!!

Or try all your neighbours/friends from 10yo's school?

Failing that I'll babysit :D

I used to be a childminder - loving 'chelle's idea about a trade swap.

We cross-posted.

I do think though, that your only hope is sending in the OH to sort out your MIL's attitude. What does he think of her??
Xx

I know you said your hubby is a brick wall but here's what I would do in your shoes.

Phone hubby & explain you're planning your diary out for summer & say you're stuck on two dates, either be has to take Annual Leave OR he has to phone his mum & get her to confirm she definitely will do it (not tell you the day before!!)

If you can't get anywhere with the MIL always send in the OH!!

Or try all your neighbours/friends from 10yo's school?

Failing that I'll babysit :D

Hubby can't take annual leave, he works 4 hrs drive away and is on contract. He doesn't get paid for days off or holidays.

Done the neighbour friend thing. All working or away.

Mother in law is a selfish cow.

I've had to cancel some of my clients this morning. Some were ok but I think they'll get someone else in as they didn't want to re-book for a later date. These clients are going away themselves and need their nails and feet doing just before they go. 2 don't drive so need mobile and another hates salons and is a bit too posh to come to me, I wouldn't dare ask!

Yes Hubby is self employed so holidays and days off are not paid for. Would set us back even more. Believe me, I've tried all of the above apart from finding someone in the paper. Won't have a stranger look after my kids or in my house.

What I am really upset about is my MOther in laws attitude. Shes retired and sits on her arse all day and just goes lunching with friends. I expected a bit of support from her but she's such a lazy cow and just can't be bothered.

Please no one post back how wonderful and supportive their mother in laws are or I will slit my wrists!:(

The lady I was talking about had been police checked and had reference from clients but I understand the stranger thing ,i don't have any kids at the moment partly because im not sure how I would be able to get or afford childcare ,i have my presents but my partners r both dead ,itd a big problem in this country u r trying to work and pay your taxes and do the right thing ,but if u sit on your ass u get all the help possible its all wrong ,i do feel for u as this issue is stopped me from having kids :-D

Sent from my LT18i using SalonGeek

There's only so many options, to be honest.
It is hard. Sometimes for me during the holidays its going to be just a case of breaking even rather then making a profit as I need to see my regular clients are looked after all year round- on these days the children go to nursery.

I think your only option appears to be payed childcare. You may not make a profit but your clients will not go elseware either.
I tend to save through the term times so I'm equipped to pay for a few extra sessions of childcare through the holidays, then its a case of working hard and condensing the clients into the days I have payed for.
I have no family or outside help either so I understand how difficult it is.
I do have a mother in law who in theory could, but she really would not want to so its not something I would inflict on my children anyway!

Latest posts

Back