Sculpting acrylics?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChloeAR

Reaction score
Hi! I usually do my acrylic extensions using tips but I really want to become proficient at sculpting. I did my first proper set on a friend the other day and I was wondering if anyone could give me some constructive criticism? I have my own issues with the set but just want to get others opinions.

For what it's worth, my friend loved them but I really wasn't happy! I think they look too wide for a start and I struggled to place the forms. She's a nail biter and some nails had quite a square smile line plus the forms I have (ASP ones) are black so I found it really hard to see the acrylic on it!

Thanks x

Attachments

• thumbnail_20170328_205102.jpg
    thumbnail_20170328_205102.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 167
  • thumbnail_20170328_205106.jpg
    thumbnail_20170328_205106.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 136
Sculpting on a biter....you didn't make it easy for yourself did you lol Getting a good, snug fit with the form is easier if there's a very small free edge available and you have good quality forms.
What I did notice in your picture is the nail are pointing upwards, you can avoid that by applying the form angled down slightly so allowing for building the apex the nail should come out straight from the sidewalls.
A good way to practice sculpting is whenever you get a client needing a single nail repIr, sculpt it. It's good practice and less daunting than doing a full set.
Having said that for a first attempt you did good :)

Thankyou! I didn't realise how badly she had bitten them until I got there! Thankyou for your tips, i'll definitely take them on board :)

Did you pinch the nail to enhance the c curve? That is really helpful to help nail biters grow their nails out correctly, and should be done whenever forms are used. There are many videos on YouTube about sculpting nails, but my favorite is the acrylic video by Young Nails. Greg has some fantastic tips in that video and answers some great questions.

No I didn't pinch them, as I was never taught to on my course and I don't want to use pinchers incorrectly! I'll take a look at that video, thanks xx

Latest posts

Back