Self employed dilemma

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eneraldisles

Reaction score
I own a barbers shop which I bought 7yrs ago. The previous owner is still working at the shop on a self employed basis renting a chair with 2 other self employed barbers. My dilema is that I wish to ask the previous owner to leave as things have become very difficult, she undermines everything I try to implement in the shop. Also she is taking clients from the shop and doing them mobile. I know she is entitled to do this as she’s self employed, but that is not how we work. We all share our clientele and in salon this has been mutually agreed from day 1. I do not have contracts with any of the self employed staff we’ve never needed them in the past. We have all worked together for many many years. She has been their 30+yrs how do I stand legally to ask her to leave?

It’s your shop so without a written contract, you can just ask her to leave.
Be concise, don't get into a discussion but just say that you have decided to terminate the arrangement from X date.

You’re not obliged to give her reasons as she’s not employed and whatever you say might be ammunition to argue against so keep it short and not so sweet.

It’s your shop so without a written contract, you can just ask her to leave.
Be concise, don't get into a discussion but just say that you have decided to terminate the arrangement from X date.

You’re not obliged to give her reasons as she’s not employed and whatever you say might be ammunition to argue against so keep it short and not so sweet.
Thankyou I was thinking of using the excuse of Covid because it has affected business badly so that wouldn’t be a lie 😂

Thankyou I was thinking of using the excuse of Covid because it has affected business badly so that wouldn’t be a lie 😂
Do you think I need to give her notice?

Do what feels right. You’re not required to give notice if you have no contract, but it is a bit of shit thing to do to her and her clients. It might create ill feeling against you and sympathy for her.

One month’s notice is too long and will give her a chance to create discord in the salon.

I think you’re going to have to bite the bullet and say to her face that you don’t feel that the arrangement between you is sustainable and that the time has come for you to go your separate ways in order to remain on good terms. Say that this has been on your mind for a while and you feel that Covid presents the perfect opportunity to explore new ways to trade. Ask her to wind up her affairs in your salon as quickly as possible and find somewhere else and then ask her how long she thinks she will need.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back