Self employed-get part benefits

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voluminouslengt

Reaction score
Hi all im newly self employed for 3months and im a single mum currently dling under 12hours, trying my best to increase to 16hours.

Im now ready to do more hours scared to take the plunge.

At the moment im spending more out than what I am earning.

Have my adviser in 2weeks to claim new enterprise allowance and apply for working tax credits.

My concern is what if I do not make enough income how do I increase my business and help get my buisness known. I am a mobile hair extensionist but I do not drive which is a disadvantage. I use other transport services.

I have my facebook page, my logo designed and my new uniform getting embroidered with my logo next week.

Question is can you get help with fundig for marketing it ed business cards and leaflets.

Can I claim back any expenses on products or anything purchase for my business.

I have my receipts etc and I am keeping a book of my accounts.

Didnt think business would have been so slow. Ive done quite a few client's lost my mobile clients due to starting in a salon now going back to mobile as wasnt working out

Sorry for so many questions. Just need some reassurance as ive recently traoned in a other hair extension method so that I can offer more than 2 methods

Aby advice or help I would appreciate.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi all im newly self employed for 3months and im a single mum currently dling under 12hours, trying my best to increase to 16hours.

Have my adviser in 2weeks to claim new enterprise allowance and apply for working tax credits.

My concern is what if I do not make enough income how do I increase my business and help get my buisness known. I am a mobile hair extensionist but I do not drive which is a disadvantage. I use other transport services.

I have my facebook page, my logo designed and my new uniform getting embroidered with my logo next week.

Question is can you get help with fundig for marketing it ed business cards and leaflets.

Didnt think business would have been so slow. Ive done quite a few client's lost my mobile clients due to starting in a salon now going back to mobile as wasnt working out

Sorry for so many questions. Just need some reassurance as ive recently traoned in a other hair extension method so that I can offer more than 2 methods

You generally spend more out than you take for a good year or so.
I can't imagine there is any grants specific for marketing material.
You can't claim back expenses you can only offset it against future profits on your tax return.

To build business you need money to spend money on a marketing but it's tough if money is tight.

Things generally will get better over time. It can take up to 2 years plus to build a business and tick along.

I can't give reassurances as it's really an unknown. Don't give up though.

Thank you bannerpenguin for your reply.

I am not giving up. Yes it is difficult at times as I have put so much effort and money already into the business that I want to succeed. I love my job and meeting new people. My business is already expanding problem is getting my name out their.

I now have a few volunteers and clients willing to help me get my flyers out.

What I do earn I invest it back into the business as I want to try and supply hair. I am also qualified in beauty I now offer some beauty treatments as well.

Would be nice to have a mentor who can advise you along the way.

Just a guess but I would imagine just starting out in extensions is tough as it has a more limit client base. Also the time between appointments is much lengthier than say a cut and blowdry.

How long per client are you looking at?

If you what to work 16 hours say 4 hours a client including traveling is 4 clients a week.

Maybe now ask some other extensionists how realistic this is. From a consumer point of view I would be looking at your experience in this area so plenty of before and afters are key and client feedback.

Extensions vary massively, what method do you offer? in what price range? Are you being realistic with your margins? Why would you make a loss unless you aren't charging for fittings?

Also you were working in a salon 2 days ago, is this how long you have been mobile? Just 2 days?

If your self employed you still get working tax & child tax credits, are you still receiving income support at the mo? Working tax is almost the same amount so u needn't worry, as long as you can survive on that it's good :) (I do) the time where it becomes a problem is when your business outgoings are more than your business is taking in, because it comes out of your family's pocket, new enterprise will provide you with a mentor but you can't go on new enterprise if your already signed off jobseekers etc, ideally you should have been sure your business could sustain it's self before starting, hair extensions is not a particularly good business model on it's own (in general for a non driver) due to the fact that there's not as much custom as there would be if you offered it alongside other services, I run a hair salon and offer 2 methods of extensions at the salon, I've had about 12 clients pureley for extensions in 9 months, if I wasn't running a salon alongside the extensions I wouldn't be making enough money definatley. With new enterprise as long as your business plan is solid you can apply for a loan of up to £1000 so that could pay for your marketing and whatever else you need, a loan is a really bad idea tho if your business isn't sustaining itself already, it's just adding to ur overheads, you can't actually claim any money back but you keep all recipts of everything u spend to do with your business and when it's time you tell the tax man I made X amount this year and spent X amount on the business and they take it off your end of year figure then tax u on anything over a certain amount of profit, approx £10,000 I think, u won't need to worry about this, it's a while before you start making that much profit, you must keep all records of money in & out & recipts incase the tax mans wants to see them, I think really you'd b better off doing mobile hair & extensions rather than just extensions, it takes a long time to build a client base so as you have lost yours you'll need to rebuild that, I had clients id gathered over 5 years & did mobile to get new custom for a year solid before I started my business so that I knew I definatley had enough customers to sustain it, hope it all goes well for you and Facebook is a really good method of advertising so use it to ur advantage :)

Ive been working in salon since November 2013. Before that I was mobile and I was earning more income and did have a regular client base until I started the salon client's wouldn't travel to the salon as most clients stayed quite far out from the salon. Had to build from scratch again. Salon I workes in had only been opened for 5months hence the reason business was very quiet I then decided to go back to mobile and now starting a fresh I have lots of photos of my work, certificate and insurance.

My prices are very reasonable as I did my research my prices start from £200 a full head depending on length and what brand. I offer a few brands at different prices allowing clients a variety of hair types and affordability but at the same time good quality hair.

I offer Indian remy, remy couture and beauty works celebrity choice.

I offer the following methods

Prebonds
Micro rings
Micro loops
Weaves

With fitting I offer free cut and style with full aftercare advice with aftercare kits available to purchase. I offer maintenance. With free removals when re-booking second set of hair extensions x

Hi kahuna hair thank you for your response I will be coming off income support what I earn just now gets deducted from my income support. Ive had my business plan looked at and have been advised that my business is sustainable which is why im coming off my income support next week.

My business plan will be checked again by the jobcentres agency who look through your plan, if they think it is sustainabke I will get granted my new enterprise allowance. I need to build up my client base again. I agree with you not having a car is a disadvantage but I will travel. I charge travel expenses which are included in my prices. X

Hi,
Dont worry about coming off income support, I was actually better off money wise when I did.
I started off in the same position as you, some called me crazy, I used to get 4-6 buses per job sometimes, adding at least 2 hours onto each job, in the rain, snow etc, sometimes i would cry when i finally arrived home,Id be starving, cold, tired, aching arms,and pi**ed off sometimes, but I stuck at it, continued offering just extensions, whilst I qualified as a hairdresser, learnt how to drive,and to cut a long story short, I now offer ALL hair & beauty services, I earn a VERY good living, my son & I have a fabulous life, I just treat myself to a new convertible car last week,and am making plans to open my very own salon very soon, just stick at it.
Kate xx

Thank you endless your a real inspiration. I now offer my beauty services. I will be coming off income support this week. Have been advised I am entitled to housing benefit until i start earning a wage that I am able to live off as long as I show my accounts every month. As far as im aware im allowed to earn upto £60 per week anything higher then will affect my housing benefitm I am fully aware that business can take upto a year or more before getting a reasonable wage. I am willing to have a go and try and try and work as many hours as I can.
Business will be quiet until I start to build a client base which I know will take me a year. Finding the best way to advertise. Xx

Latest posts

Back