Self employed nail tech in my salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sashafierce

Reaction score
Hi. I have recently opened a beauty salon offering waxing. Massage. HD browse. LVL lashes etc.
I also offer nails. Gel powder, gel, manicures and tips.
I'm looking for another nail tech to join me as I don't particularly enjoy doing tips. That being said at the moment its alot of my business, what ideally I want is too keep my current own clients and steer away from tips with hope of a new nail tech ( with own client base) to carry on with tip work and ne do more other treatments such as waxing etc.

Obviously this Is a ideal situation, what I dont want is to set up a girl with a client base i have worked my ass off for to then move on and set up yards away from me ( this happened to me before from a wrong set up).

So what I'm asking is if you already offer the same service as a new self employed nail tech how do you fairly set up a contract in your salon???

So what I'm asking is if you already offer the same service as a new self employed nail tech how do you fairly set up a contract in your salon???

You don’t.

When you have a ‘self employed’ person working in your salon, you cease to have any control of how they run their business. If they want to offer the same services as you and undercut your prices, they are legally entitled to. If they do your clients, they legally become their clients too. If you try to limit how they operate, even restricting their hours, you risk investigation and prosecution by HMRC for running a sham employment arrangement. You can be fined and required to pay that person the minimum wage equivalent of what they would have earnt whilst working for you. You have to remember that you are just their landlady.

Realistically, self employment works best when everyone in the salon is self employed and competing for business equally or the self employed person is offering a completely different service that’s not competing with the main salon business, so a hairdresser in a beauty salon, a nail tech in a hairdressers etc.

If you want someone to take on specific services and clients then you have to employ them.

Maybe look at offering part-time hours on certain days if you can’t afford to employ someone full time?

https://www.salongeek.com/threads/hmrc-guidelines-for-determining-self-employment.295298/

You don’t.

When you have a ‘self employed’ person working in your salon, you cease to have any control of how they run their business. If they want to offer the same services as you and undercut your prices, they are legally entitled to. If they do your clients, they legally become their clients too. If you try to limit how they operate, even restricting their hours, you risk investigation and prosecution by HMRC for running a sham employment arrangement. You can be fined and required to pay that person the minimum wage equivalent of what they would have earnt whilst working for you. You have to remember that you are just their landlady.

Realistically, self employment works best when everyone in the salon is self employed and competing for business equally or the self employed person is offering a completely different service that’s not competing with the main salon business, so a hairdresser in a beauty salon, a nail tech in a hairdressers etc.

If you want someone to take on specific services and clients then you have to employ them.

Maybe look at offering part-time hours on certain days if you can’t afford to employ someone full time?

https://www.salongeek.com/threads/hmrc-guidelines-for-determining-self-employment.295298/
This advice is really helpful as I had a self employed nail/lash technician in she as they very professional never worked the salon hours and we discussed the services she was to provide but she disregarded our discussion oh I had a contract drawn up stating her services she was doing other services and undercutting the salon price. In the end she couldn’t afford her rent didn’t pay and left without prior notice given. Lucky to be rid of her tbh.

Latest posts

Back