Self employed position

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCH

Reaction score
I’ve just been to speak to someone about a self employed position within a beauty salon. It’s a popular place who’ve been going for 7 years now.

Anyway, at the meeting I was told:
- I will work consistent hours.
- I am expected to stay at the salon even if I don’t have clients during my hours.
- All money goes into the till and then the salon will create an invoice and I will be paid at the end of the week my percentage (40%).
- I will need to use the salon’s price list.
- I will need to get a uniform.
- I will be able to use the current client base but the owner would like some of her clients back after a while (I wasn’t 100% sure what she meant by this but).

I was told what the other therapists earn (a very good wage) and also told that the last girl who worked there didn’t do well due to picking a choosing customers and going to the gym in her free time.

Now, the people there are lovely and the owner was honest about all of this and said I need to be comfortable with working that way but to me it sounds like an employed position.

I’m completely new to all this so I’m just looking for people’s opinions on it really. How would you feel about this position? Thanks a lot

Last edited:
This makes me so mad. This is illegal. She doesn’t have a choice about employment, which this is. Employment means at least National Minimum Wage, holiday pay, statutory sick pay, wage slips, pension provision and a lot of legalities that protect the employee.

Many salons do this to avoid all of the above. I had an application for a job from a therapist who had sat in another salon (like the one you talk about) all day for 50% of an eyebrow tidy.

You could take this ‘job’ and further down the line sue your employer for back dated holiday pay and payment of NMW and you would most likely win. Added to which, if she gets caught working like this, unless she has a pot of money, it could be the end of her business!

I can’t say not to take the job, but my staff are on a good wage, commission structure, holiday and sick pay, pension, further training, all products at cost and a lovely supportive work environment.

Good luck with you choices.

Vic x

Thanks so much, Vic. I value your opinion in here so I’m glad you replied! I don’t think I’ll take it as it didn’t sit right with me anyway (it’s just 5 mins from my house and nursery so it was just so attractive in that respect). I’ve got a few more interviews lined up so fingers crossed they go well!

She might be ‘lovely’, but honest? Not so much.
Yes, @squidgernetball is correct.
This is illegal and if the salon was investigated by HMRC, they will be prosecuted and risk a substantial fine.
It only takes one disgruntled ‘employee’ to tip them off.

Thank AcidPerm. It’s crazy how they’ve got away with it for so long then!

What you/she is describing is not self employed at all. She is dictating everything to you as if you are an employee but she is avoiding all of the responsibility of being an employer. It is illegal.

I would avoid at all costs.

Latest posts

Back