Self employed troubles

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daisy Till

Reaction score
Hi! So I work self employed in a salon on a 20% basis.. I am planning on giving 2 week’s polite notice of leaving (I have no contract and have been there for 14 months!) but I’m worried about the backlash I might receive from the owner.
I’m leaving because I have had to manage the salon, clients, social media when the owner is on holiday or busy and reply to client messages when she can’t be bothered. And I have had to take towels home to wash weekly as there are no washing/drying facilities in the salon. The owner has recently got rid of the fridge and microwave for ‘more storage’. I’ve had to repeatedly buy things like toilet rolls, cleaning products and other things to keep the salon running without being refunded. If I don’t clean the salon, it doesn’t get cleaned. It’s not my job to do so but it’s unhygienically awful if myself and another self employed technician don’t do it. The owner constantly leaves the salon in a state with no regards for us others having to work in that space. It has no heating and is horrendously cold now winter has come back! We are relying on a small heater to heat the salon! Our clients complain of being cold all the time and we can’t do anything about it. It’s embaressing.
The list could honestly go on.. my question is can I anonymously report the salon, if so.. how? Can someone send me a link please!!

Report the low standards of cleanliness to who? I don’t think there’s anything you can do about that but I’d expect the salon to close down eventually because clients won’t return if they’re cold and uncomfortable.

The only thing I think you can report her for is treating you as an employee but paying you as self employed. Although if you voluntarily choose to clean the salon and take the towels home to wash, you might struggle to prove your case.
Contact ACAS for advice. Tel: 0300 123 1100

Find a new space to rent and just leave. If you’ve got no contract, you’re under no obligation to give notice.

Why do you feel the need to report her ? Just tell her you’re leaving and set up by yourself.

Ditto to the above @AcidPerm, @Tanning_Beauty

It sounds like you are already taking on the role as manager - with regards to the responsibility you have taken on. Unfortunately it doesn't sound like the salon owner respects or values you at all. As mentioned above, you would be best moving on and setting up on your own. Or finding a salon where you can work in a nicer environment without all the responsibility resting on your shoulders.

If you let your clients know you are looking to move - I'm sure some will follow. Especially if the new place is warmer :)

Latest posts

Back