Set up home or mobile

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

annojf

AF Hair Extensions
Reaction score
Just some advice. From experience what's best. Was thinking mobile to reach out to as many people as possible and to be affordable plus insurance I'm guessing is the cheaper option. Or does working from home give a better experience that clients may prefer to get their hair extensions done with free tea and coffee fancy teas and a salon feel.

Hey I have a home salon and it works really well as you can still be flexible but it's more potential for you as your not wasting time driving to and from clients all the the time it takes to set up and clean up, altho when I first started I did mobile. X

Hey I have a home salon and it works really well as you can still be flexible but it's more potential for you as your not wasting time driving to and from clients all the the time it takes to set up and clean up, altho when I first started I did mobile. X
Thanks. Is it more costly with home insurance and other bits and bobs?

I started mobile and found while it got more clients I was spending a long time travelling between clients - I lived in a very rural area at the time. I much preferred being based in one place.
Louise [emoji3]

Totally depends on the level of service you what to give. The price you want to charge and the area you live. IE years ago I did mobile. I live in London and had a wheely hold-all bag going on buses etc (no car in london at the time). Was a nightmare, as was taking foils out, washing colour off etc. I used to carry so much stuff like extension cords for power, mat for floor, dust pan and brush etc along with all the usual hairdressing equipment. So depends on how you operate and your situation. I eventually told clients I was no longer doing mobile and they would have to come to my place as washing colours off was too dangerous for insurance invade it went in eyes etc. They all ended up coming to my home and it all worked out better. I was able to offer a more professional service, wash colours off in a basin safely and above all work at the correct height and protect my back. You don't have to have a full salon for clients to come to you!

Till this year I did both I defiantly lost a few clients that like to get away from the husband and kids why they have their hair done :( it was good to offer both when we move to a bigger house I'll defo set up a small area for home hair again. It's also nice not to have to lug everything about sometimes and of course when you have a colour you can squeeze a trim in for another client too X

I used to work mobile and from home, I now work solely from home.

Being mobile was definitely far more expensive than being at home.

Car insurance goes up.
Cost of fuel.
The time lost on the road in between clients and packing up.

It takes me an hour to do a set of nails in my house, even if I went to my neighbours house, the time packing my things away and setting up again would lose me 10 minutes, at the end of a day that may be 6 clients, 60 minutes... An extra set of nails lost due to time... And that's not taking into account going any distance.

It's something I often think about. I've been mobile for two and a half years now.
I like the thought of my home being our home. I like the separation between work and home. I sometimes find it hard being self employed because I'm constantly contactable. A salon wouldn't be open at 7:30 am but clients will text me. So I think it's important for me and my husband for our home to be our place not a section for all my clients.
I wouldn't rule it out for the future either though.
X

It's something I often think about. I've been mobile for two and a half years now.
I like the thought of my home being our home. I like the separation between work and home. I sometimes find it hard being self employed because I'm constantly contactable. A salon wouldn't be open at 7:30 am but clients will text me. So I think it's important for me and my husband for our home to be our place not a section for all my clients.
I wouldn't rule it out for the future either though.
X
Yes, this is a very good point. It is extremely hard to cut yourself off from work, I like my job as it's so flexible but then it's too flexible that I'll organise my diary to perhaps have Tuesday off next week then someone will message me and I'm having a lazy day at home... But I get dressed cos sitting in my jamas isn't worth £30!! :(

I get so cross with myself but it's hard to say no when the money is instantly in your hand and you're not having to go out of the house.

I have had to make sure that at Xmas time, I'm finishing on the 21st so I'm planning days out on the 22/23/24th so that I CAN'T book people in, it's the only time I wish I had a shop that closed and made me uncontactable!!!

Yes, this is a very good point. It is extremely hard to cut yourself off from work, I like my job as it's so flexible but then it's too flexible that I'll organise my diary to perhaps have Tuesday off next week then someone will message me and I'm having a lazy day at home... But I get dressed cos sitting in my jamas isn't worth £30!! :(

I get so cross with myself but it's hard to say no when the money is instantly in your hand and you're not having to go out of the house.

I have had to make sure that at Xmas time, I'm finishing on the 21st so I'm planning days out on the 22/23/24th so that I CAN'T book people in, it's the only time I wish I had a shop that closed and made me uncontactable!!!

Haha all such good points! I love working from home and my clients seem to really like my relaxed salon atmosphere. However totally know what you mean if you think you have a free day. You end up lazing about or decide to clean the house all in your scruffy clothes; then a client texts or phones asking if you can fit them in that day! In my head I'm like 'well it will take me half an hour to finish watching this programme/finish my cleaning, then another hour to get ready' so then its like a mad rush to get ready lol! I never turn a client down though, can't afford to when self employed.

Just some advice. From experience what's best. Was thinking mobile to reach out to as many people as possible and to be affordable plus insurance I'm guessing is the cheaper option. Or does working from home give a better experience that clients may prefer to get their hair extensions done with free tea and coffee fancy teas and a salon feel.
I started off mobile but found it very hard,getting to clients house them in pj's not ready for you,sink full of washing up so unable to shampoo their hair,not able to find space to set up,then to boot always clients saying I should only be half salon price with no overheads :mad: ive now got a home salon my insurance is about the same I managed to do it very reasonably,love it everything to hand,clients love the pampering and no more complaints about cost.:D

Do you all have basins in your home set ups or do you just wash over the bath?
Is you have backwashes where they easy to install and how expensive was the installing?
Just trying to work out setting up a home salon but would love the basin for a proper salon feel![emoji138]

I use a portable back wash in my kitchen. Basin waste connects to sink outlet and then use styling chair for a seat. Clients all say it's really comfy and are all happy - (pics attached incase anyone else is interested). Then just use a shower spray attachment on taps.

If you plumb a basin in you will need to get a quote from a builder. Price will be affected by - if close water pipes/supply and installing a waste pipe. It's all pretty easy to do though especially if you have push fit pipes.
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1455717703.129396.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1455717718.445509.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1455717732.229918.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1455717741.529065.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1455717752.696511.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1455717762.648414.jpg

I much prefer going to a home/salon set up rather than someone coming to me, if I'm at home having my hair done my children pester the life out if me and I never feel pampered, personally I like the break away from home and having my hair done in peace! My hairdresser has been doing my hair for years and has always offered the choice and I always chose to go to her (same with my nail tech and waxing app)

I recently started working from home due to ill health after being mobile for years. I so wish I had started out at home in the first place.

Hope it's ok to jump on this thread. Not posted before.
Just wondered if those of you that have a salon at home is it a room in your house you've done as a salon or do you just do it in your kitchen? I work in a salon at the moment but would like to start working from home. Looking for ideas on the best way to do this.

Latest posts

Back