Setting up a mobile business...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shady_brady

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm thinking of setting up a mobile business. Can anyone give me any advice on how to go about doing this?

So far on my to do list is:
Register with Inland Revenue
Buy insurance
Buy a hood dryer
Buy towels

erm...I'm not sure what else?!?!

Is there any essential stock I should make sure I always have in or any advice you can give me? I've only just finished my level 2 and have never run my own business so would really apreciate any advice!

I've made my own leaflet which I'm pretty pleased with, think it looks professional but I'm not sure about pricing, particularly as I'm newly qualified. Have had a look around and there seems such a range of prices for the same services locally that I'm not sure what would be a competitive rate. I'd really appreciate any thoughts on this too.

Thanks so much, H Xx

Hiya, insurance wise...I found salon gold to be really good. I pay £41 a year for up to £2million public liability cover. If you want an idea of prices, feel free to have a look at mine on my website Rough Cuts Mobile Hair Styling ¦ Home
Getting some flyers printed off doesn't have to be expensive either, I use vistaprint for all my flyers, business cards etc.
As for stock, I personally don't keep alot in as it takes up a fair amount of room and doesn't always get used so I just take a trip to the wholesalers every fortnight and buy what I need for the following few weeks and do colour consultations/skin tests at least a couple of days before the client wants it done which gives me a chance to check what I have in stock or go and get it.
You might also want to make up a disclaimer form for clients to sign to say that have had a skin test and explanation of the reasons why they need one and how the colouring process works/can be dangerous etc

Good luck, and be patient...setting up on your own takes some time to make a living especially if you haven't got a good client base already, but it's so worth it :)
Kaylee x

Hiya, insurance wise...I found salon gold to be really good. I pay £41 a year for up to £2million public liability cover. If you want an idea of prices, feel free to have a look at mine on my website Rough Cuts Mobile Hair Styling ¦ Home
Getting some flyers printed off doesn't have to be expensive either, I use vistaprint for all my flyers, business cards etc.
As for stock, I personally don't keep alot in as it takes up a fair amount of room and doesn't always get used so I just take a trip to the wholesalers every fortnight and buy what I need for the following few weeks and do colour consultations/skin tests at least a couple of days before the client wants it done which gives me a chance to check what I have in stock or go and get it.
You might also want to make up a disclaimer form for clients to sign to say that have had a skin test and explanation of the reasons why they need one and how the colouring process works/can be dangerous etc

Good luck, and be patient...setting up on your own takes some time to make a living especially if you haven't got a good client base already, but it's so worth it :)
Kaylee x
i do exactly the same as kaylee, so wont repeat what she has said..but totally do the above :hug:

You may want to join the Freelance Hair and Beauty Federation, they offer great advice and training. Check out their website, good luck

p.s dont forget to inform your car insurance company that u will be using your car for business otherwise this may invalidate ur insurance

Last edited:
Thanks so much for your advice everyone!

Kaylee, that's the cheapest insurance I've heard of so I'll definitely lok into that, thanks. Also, your website is lovely! Really informative and professional looking.

njrivett I'll definitely look at that website, sounds like it's what I need! Plus I didn't even think about insuring my car for business use so thanks for suggesting that.

Really appreciate your advice everyone. Is scary and a bit overwhelming when you've never done it before. Is good to know that you're all doing well going mobile and you all seem to be enjoying it.

Thanks again, H. x:smack:

Latest posts

Back