Settling on the right gel polish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Struckbyastar

Reaction score
To cut a long story short- I trained in acrylics with CND, but I don't love Shellac, partly because it doesn't last on my nails, and I'm also no longer really using CND acrylic but INK acrylink. I've just trained in gel polish, with OPI, partly because I wanted to be insured in it and also because the course didn't require me having to buy into the system before I'd used it!

Whats the best way to trial gel polish systems to find "The One" without breaking the bank?!! I work a full time job so nails will hopefully be a weekend/evening thing. I have a CND LED lamp, but like I said Shellac just doesn't inspire me and I could never use my own nails to advertise it. I know and agree with not being able to guarantee the service of a system if I don't use the system's lamp, but I can't afford to spend £200+ on each lamp to trial the systems! Friends who are nail techs suggest buying a couple from a number of brands to use, telling clients that you're just starting out so it might not last as long as it should (and charging to reflect this) however I'm not keen on this; I feel it would start to give me a reputation I don't want to have.

The brands I'm considering this far are INK (although currently no marketing/display products, which I would like), The Gelbottle (love the range of colours inc. glitter polishes) or OPI GelColor (which, granted, I only experienced for the first time on the course but really enjoyed, and I could also convert to their acrylic and mani system to have brand unity)...

Any advice?! I'm not looking for a discussion on brands really, more on to how to trial a system that I can offer to clients whilst ensuring the best service and longevity...

TIA! x

Shellac is a hybrid polish, and as such it can only last on strong healthy nails.
Ink's iLac is also a hybrid polish and although it might be a marvelous brand, if you didn't get along with shellac then you most probably won't get along with iLac too. I'm not sure about their xLac series, you have to check it out

Basically, what you need to invest to is a pure gel polish. The one I use and suggest is Gelish which is amazing
I have no idea about either the Gelbottle or OPI, but make sure you check that the brand you choose is a pure gel polish, not a hybrid.

Get base-top-colour on a couple of brands to try out and see what you work best with. Don't mix&match as you will probably get a service breakdown. Use your CND LED for your try-outs and once settled buy the according lamp.

Latest posts

Back