Shall I quit mobile and rent space in a salon?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJTM

Reaction score
Hi!

I currently run a mobile part time business, mainly makeup whilst I’ve finished my university degree.

I’m fully qualified and insured in makeup, semi permanent eyelashes, threading, tinting, CND shellac and acrylics, but have not offered these too much as needed to prioritise uni work.

I’ve finished my degree now and am wondering if I am better renting a room, but need advice! I’ve been offered space for £60 a week, which seems reasonable but I’m a little worried about taking this cost out of my income when I’m first pushing for full time, and also worried about losing my regulars, although some of them live near this salon which is easy to get to if you drive and plenty of public transport etc.

Any advice? Should I take the plunge and hope that in offering all the other services and having my kit in one place will take off, or do I stay mobile?

Xxx

Is the place that you've been offered in a hair salon or something like that? If so, there are potential new clients there already. I wouldn't think you would lose too many regulars if you are in the same area. I went from mobile to opening a salon and it has been hard financially (shouldn't be too bad renting a room rather than taking on all the responsibilities of a salon though) but I wouldn't go back to being mobile now. I don't have the sort of back pain and getting up and down off the floor like I used to!! My advice is to chat to the salon owner about maybe a short term contract or trial run for say 6 months (?) and really ramp up your marketing and practice practice practice at all the things you've not been doing too much of lately and give it a go. If your not paying out loads of money to get it all set up, then you won't be losing loads if it doesn't work out. You can always go back to being mobile if you need to, but I think you will love being in a salon.

Thank you so much for your advice I really appreciate it! I guess my main worries are tasking ages for clients to build up and struggling to cover my own finances on top of the salon rent, and either losing my regulars who prefer mobile or cutting off the people I would usually travel to for a charge who are further away xx going to the salon today to have a chat so I will see how it goes xx

Maybe you could talk about starting slow... for example, just do a couple of days in the salon (depends if owner would reduce the weekly rate) and try to get everyone to go there, but the ones that refuse you could perhaps do a day a week travelling to them??

I’m thinking about taking it up with the logic that the £60 a week is for the weekdays, which will allow me walk ins for nails and a base for lashes, and I’m hoping to bring as many over of y makeup clients but if it is really not working I can continue make up mobile and see how it goes xx

Hi all - I am doing part time shellac nails from home. If I was to rent a space in a salon once a month should I charge more than what I would charge at home?

Latest posts

Back