Shellac advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheryll85

Reaction score
Hi , could someone please help and advise ,, When applying shellac polish in a lighter colour ie pale pink or pale pastel colurs it’s goes on very transparent and can see the brush lines , 2 sometimes 3 coats applied very frustrating am I doing something wrong

Thanks in advance

The technique you are using is incorrect. I can't tell you the correct technique because I haven't figured it out myself, lol. But, good technique will give you a smooth and thin appearance. However, even with good technique, certain colors can still have streaks. For these colors, its best to use 3 coats.

I found the same thing. Big one is stirring the colour before use helps alot. And brand ofcourse. Some colours like white ect Will always show a little especially before top coat but stirring will help

Don't worry. The pale Shellac colours always need 3 coats!

Thank you , so frustrating I always try and avoid These colours and talk my clients out of it but as the summer is approaching they always like these pale colours

When working with more difficult colours try floating the colour on with minimal pressure from the brush.

When working with more difficult colours try floating the colour on with minimal pressure from the brush.

I dont understand this floating technique. The brush doesn't seem to flatten out and the brush wants to create streaks.

I dont understand this floating technique. The brush doesn't seem to flatten out and the brush wants to create streaks.
To float the polish on means to apply minimal pressure on the brush. If you’re spot on with your application you don’t need to flatten the brush as it is exactly that which causes the streaks. Try it :)

To float the polish on means to apply minimal pressure on the brush. If you’re spot on with your application you don’t need to flatten the brush as it is exactly that which causes the streaks. Try it :)

So ive tried not to flatten the brush but the brush just ends up being straight. So I end up with one long paint stroke, it doesn't fan out and it doesn't cover the side walls. Im quite ashamed to say this but ive been doing nails for 8 years and still haven't gotten down polishing. Its quite sad and I really don't know what it is.

I do understand what you mean by floating the polish because I can feel this technique when Im painting my own nails at a certain angel. However when im painting the clients fingers and painting it directly, the floating technique goes out the window. The brush seems to smash into the polish.

So ive tried not to flatten the brush but the brush just ends up being straight. So I end up with one long paint stroke, it doesn't fan out and it doesn't cover the side walls. Im quite ashamed to say this but ive been doing nails for 8 years and still haven't gotten down polishing. Its quite sad and I really don't know what it is.

I do understand what you mean by floating the polish because I can feel this technique when Im painting my own nails at a certain angel. However when im painting the clients fingers and painting it directly, the floating technique goes out the window. The brush seems to smash into the polish.
The only thing I can think of to try then would be to change the angle that you hold the brush. Keep it almost horizontal and level with your clients nail rather than slightly raised as we normally do. Hopefully that would minimise the pressure going through to the bristles.

One other thing you could try in addition to the advice above, would be to have more polish product on the brush so it glides more?
Perhaps you're going too thin with your coats?
Just ideas ...

The only thing I can think of to try then would be to change the angle that you hold the brush. Keep it almost horizontal and level with your clients nail rather than slightly raised as we normally do. Hopefully that would minimise the pressure going through to the bristles.

So we recently hired some new techs who've never touched nails before and after 1 month their polishing is even better than mines, lol. Super shiny and super smooth. Its amazing how a healthy mind can learn so quick.

I just found a really good video that explains streaking. Haven't seen anything like it in a sea of nail vids.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back