Shellac coming off the edge of the nail

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I’m having issues with myself and some clients with the shellac just chipping off the extension edge that I have capped very thoroughly and then obviously leading to service breakdown. I have tried EVERYTHING I can think of, thin coats, thick coats, middling coats, duraforce, nail fresh, shaking the bottles for ages and keeping them under my thigh to warm them up, changing my capping the free edge technique etc

I don’t understand the issue and why it’s happening, it’s not due to lifestyle as my recent manicure, the colour chipped off the extension edge within a day on all the nails.

I also would be surprised if it’s a prep issue as I’ve followed every step I was taught to take and I’m still at a loss.

Could someone please say they’ve had the same issue and that there is something I’m doing wrong or that there is something I can do? I’m so worried about it and just want it to work!

TIA Xxx

Its because you're handling acetone throughout the day.

In the first paragraph the OP says it's happening with some clients as well.

Are you using the correct lamp for your system, giving you a complete cure?

In the first paragraph the OP says it's happening with some clients as well.

Are you using the correct lamp for your system, giving you a complete cure?

I am using the cnd shellac lamp and have checked all the timings, I’ve tried different positions of the hand in the lamp too but it’s not made much difference. It’s so odd that it’s happening x

It happened to me yesterday and I didn’t even touch acetone since I did my manicure

Hey Lily [emoji112]

How frustrating! Do you have any pictures of your manicure? If you could post a pic from the top , a side view and down the barrel of the nail , i'm sure I could help you get to the bottom of this [emoji173]️

Hey Lily [emoji112]

How frustrating! Do you have any pictures of your manicure? If you could post a pic from the top , a side view and down the barrel of the nail , i'm sure I could help you get to the bottom of this [emoji173]️

Thank you!
Added a lot! Let me know if you need more X

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1511789627.462965.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1511789638.064132.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1511789648.080942.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1511789658.713846.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1511789669.047508.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1511789679.031194.jpg

Hey Lily

Thanks so much for those picture , they really help me understand what is going wrong for you :)

I think I can see what is happening here but I just have 2 more questions for you before I give you my reply x

What is the condition of your clients and your own natural nails? Are they thin, weak , damaged or are they healthy?

At what point do you cap the extension edge of the nail, is it your first step or your last in painting?

Hey Lily

Thanks so much for those picture , they really help me understand what is going wrong for you :)

I think I can see what is happening here but I just have 2 more questions for you before I give you my reply x

What is the condition of your clients and your own natural nails? Are they thin, weak , damaged or are they healthy?

At what point do you cap the extension edge of the nail, is it your first step or your last in painting?

My nails are healthy and they are strong and not brittle, they’re probably medium thickness. I was capping the free edge last but did it first for the set pictured. My client that I’m having issues with also had healthy and strong nails but not particularly thick. I just noticed that some of the whites of my nails where very opaque which I’m assuming is delamination so I’ve now cut them short to get rid of this.

I so appreciate your help!! Thank you! [emoji175] xxxx

A couple of things I've notice in the pics:

You have some wear at the extension edge, this is actually completely normal and will happen to every shellac manicure after a couple of days :) The extension is sharp, and generally wear and tear will mean the shellac will wear off it. This will not effect wear.

looking at the 3rd and 5th pictures you have posted I can see that you have an excess lip of product at the end of the nail , you can really see it on the 3rd pic on the ring finger :) This is what could be causing peeling :)

This can happen if you OVERCAP the extension edge of the nail, but i also see it happening on students who do not bring the brush off the edge of the nail when painting they just stop short of the edge , particularly when smoothing out colour or top coat :)

I have video on my youtube channel that shows you how to cap short nails effectively without the lip of product , i'll try and post it below for you [emoji173]️

Lastly if your nails are peeling then this will also cause chipping and peeling :) Shellac is a thin coating that just sticks to the surface of the nail , if the nail below it peels away it will take the shellac off with it :)

Let me know if I can help in any other way [emoji173]️

A couple of things I've notice in the pics:

You have some wear at the extension edge, this is actually completely normal and will happen to every shellac manicure after a couple of days :) The extension is sharp, and generally wear and tear will mean the shellac will wear off it. This will not effect wear.

looking at the 3rd and 5th pictures you have posted I can see that you have an excess lip of product at the end of the nail , you can really see it on the 3rd pic on the ring finger :) This is what could be causing peeling :)

This can happen if you OVERCAP the extension edge of the nail, but i also see it happening on students who do not bring the brush off the edge of the nail when painting they just stop short of the edge , particularly when smoothing out colour or top coat :)

I have video on my youtube channel that shows you how to cap short nails effectively without the lip of product , i'll try and post it below for you [emoji173]️

Lastly if your nails are peeling then this will also cause chipping and peeling :) Shellac is a thin coating that just sticks to the surface of the nail , if the nail below it peels away it will take the shellac off with it :)

Let me know if I can help in any other way [emoji173]️

Thank you so much! I will try a manicure with your tips and hopefully it’ll now last much longer than a few days! I’ll let you know [emoji175]

X

Latest posts

Back