Shellac - dealing with a complaint

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxiwoo

Reaction score
Hi fellow nail geeks. I have a lady who has text me this morning with some quite strong words pertaining to her last Shellac service. She has been to me for Shellac twice before and not had any issues. In fact she was in the midst of moving house twice during her last visits and was impressed with how durable they were considering how much she was using her hands (packing, cleaning, gardening). She knows the aftercare and although I've advised she wears gloves for cleaning/gardening she admits she doesn't. I get on really well with her and she's usually very funny/nice.

So after 3 weeks I get the following text: "any chance you can do a shellac removal for me tomorrow as this hasn't been a good one at all and now looks atrocious. Nails look so bad I can't wait to get them sorted but can't afford to get them done til I'm paid on 27th hence asking if you can remove them." I know texting is difficult to ascertain mood, ie can't see facial expression, tone of voice, but the words 'atrocious & bad' doesn't bode well.

As I know most of you say, you can't say anything til you see them so I've told her to come along tomorrow & I'll take a look. The issue is I'm not expecting them to look great, it has been 3 weeks now, and I know she doesn't use gloves BUT in her mind she's probably disappointed as the previous two have lasted longer when she's been more heavy handed.

I do offer a free removal service when clients are having a new shellac treatment as a) it gets people back to me and b) it stops people picking it off, wrecking their nails, and then bad mouthing the product. Reading between the lines of her text i think she's expecting a free removal but will come back for new set after she gets paid. My dilemma is how to explain what has happened when it hasn't happened before as I have no answer. And before anyone asks, yes I am meticulous with my prep. She also comes to me for massage and her cousin comes to me for massage so from a relationship point of view I wan to keep her happy but don't want to be taken for a mug.

Has anyone else been in a similar predicament?

If she has had them on for 3 weeks then she cannot expect them to look great. She may just be saying that she hasn't been good with them and they are chipping, as you said it is hard to gauge people's tone in a text. I think she may just be saying she has messed them up, needs it removing but cannot afford a reapply until payday.

I wouldn't expect them to look amazing after 3 weeks! Maybe you should reply asking what she means by atrocious, have they just grown out or are they chipping? See if she can send a pic? I'm sure you did a good job if they are still on after 3 weeks. Ten maybe say of course you can remove them but you charge x amount for removal on its on to cover your product/journey time etc (not that you really need to give an explanation) xx

See what feeling you get when you see her, maybe ask for £5 for the removal and you will take it off her next application

I really don't see how there's a problem here. 3 weeks is plenty long enough. If she was saying this after 3 days I could understand.
I say anything over a week and its a new set. Has to be paid for.
Of course they don't look as good anymore.
And wanting something for free is just cheeky! I have some clients who go 4 weeks and some who can only go 2. They all have to pay if they want them removed or if they want a new set.
You haven't done anything wrong. Just text her your prices for removal. If you don't want to ring her.

Sorry I I'm ranting haha how can they not be a good set she's had then on 3 WEEKS!! :O

Don't worry xx

Laura xx

An I she's having 2 deprecate treatments there no reason to knock off any money off her next set. It seems she's maybe trying to make you feel bad as she can't afford to get them done but wants them to look new again :) she obv likes your work though

Laura xx

I think basically, its time for her to have them redone but can't afford it so wants them removed for free!
That's how I read the text anyway.
I would say 'unless you are having them redone I charge ??? For removal only'.
That's fair enough and I'm sure the nails were fine or it wouldn't of taken her 3 weeks to contact you.
Could she be looking to have them redone for free and she's moaning now because she can't afford it?
Seems a bit suspicious to me

I always charge for removal if not reapplying, so just text back saying that's fine its £x amount for removal in my case £10 and we can reapply if you want at your next appointment. Shellac is 2 weeks not 3 if you get 3 its a bonus, she can't and shouldn't expect it for free and if you do it once then she will expect it again.

You may find she will just ask for a re shellac one she realises it will cost her.

Good luck but don't get stressed

Start by picking out the facts.

1)They have been on for three weeks and she admits to no aftercare.

2)She would like them removed and will have more Shellac when she gets paid.

This is not somebody who is openly accusing you of not applying in the same way to allow her to abuse them like before. This is someone who is explaining that they would like a removal appointment and that they will have it applied again once they are paid.

I wouldn't for one second initiate a conversation that suggests you are taking responsibility for this persons abuse of their nails, but what I would do and what I have done before is to remind someone of the limitations of Shellac and how easy it is to become complacent when we have seen it wear well in other situations. Explain that those situations are the exception and not the norm.

I would simply remind her of the removal appointment price when you book her in to save you both from any embarrassment at the time of the appointment. I wouldn't go into anything else as you have done nothing wrong. Then when she is in your chair, spend the time to re educate her about aftercare and the limitations of Shellac.

So after 3 weeks I get the following text: "any chance you can do a shellac removal for me tomorrow as this hasn't been a good one at all and now looks atrocious. Nails look so bad I can't wait to get them sorted but can't afford to get them done til I'm paid on 27th hence asking if you can remove them." I know texting is difficult to ascertain mood, ie can't see facial expression, tone of voice, but the words 'atrocious & bad' doesn't bode well

Has anyone else been in a similar predicament?

I am assuming that '... hasn't been a good one and now looks atrocious' means that she has had problems with this set of Shellac leading up to the atrocious part. So perhaps this set overall just have not performed as well. This is not in anyway placing any blame at your door.

If she started experiencing problems like chipping prior to 2 weeks, then she had the option of letting you know, which she obviously did not do. This being said, I don't necessarily find her text offensive or accusatory but a couple off 'please's in there would have been polite :D

As has already been said, 3 weeks is well over the 2 weeks for Shellac and even this is not a guarantee based on condition of nails and life style. The fact that this set did not fair so well as opposed to the first 2 sets, may be because her heavy handed ness is finally taking it's toll. There is only so long people can get away with not following advice until it catches up with you.

So, based on what you have explained, I agree with Maz101, in that I would charge her for the removal, eg. £10 because you are performing a mini manicure. If you say charge £25 for Shellac, what you could perhaps do, is offer to reapply her Shellac when she comes back to you minus some cost of the removal eg. £6 which means she pays £19. The reason I say this and not deduct the the full £10 is because when she returns, you are going to have to refile and PEP.

Does this make sense?

I am assuming that '... hasn't been a good one and now looks atrocious' means that she has had problems with this set of Shellac leading up to the atrocious part. So perhaps this set overall just have not performed as well. This is not in anyway placing any blame at your door.

If she started experiencing problems like chipping prior to 2 weeks, then she had the option of letting you know, which she obviously did not do. This being said, I don't necessarily find her text offensive or accusatory but a couple off 'please's in there would have been polite :D

As has already been said, 3 weeks is well over the 2 weeks for Shellac and even this is not a guarantee based on condition of nails and life style. The fact that this set did not fair so well as opposed to the first 2 sets, may be because her heavy handed ness is finally taking it's toll. There is only so long people can get away with not following advice until it catches up with you.

So, based on what you have explained, I agree with Maz101, in that I would charge her for the removal, eg. £10 because you are performing a mini manicure. If you say charge £25 for Shellac, what you could perhaps do, is offer to reapply her Shellac when she comes back to you minus some cost of the removal eg. £6 which means she pays £19. The reason I say this and not deduct the the full £10 is because when she returns, you are going to have to refile and PEP.

Does this make sense?

I think that's a really good idea. X

Thank you to everyone who has taken time to reply. I have taken on board all your comments which will help me when I see her tomorrow and I know exactly how I'm going to deal with it. I love this forum - so helpful x

Thank you to everyone who has taken time to reply. I have taken on board all your comments which will help me when I see her tomorrow and I know exactly how I'm going to deal with it. I love this forum - so helpful x

Good luck honey and remember- you need to earn a living x

Latest posts

Back