Shellac/Gelish removal help! Why is this happening?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jezabelle29

Reaction score
Hi all, I cannot understand what I'm doing wrong or WHY the heck this keeps happening in my new work place and hoping someone can help as I'm in desperate need of a solution!

So when removing gel polish this is my usual procedure: buff off top coat, apply cotton pad soaked in acetone, wrap in tin foil, wait 5-10 min (I find I usually need ten min) and then it peels away with an orange wood stick. Perfect, no problems.

However in the new job I do these steps and it is only working on 2 out of 3 clients just about!? I have had a few now where no matter how long it's left soaking the Polish literally won't budge off the nail and I end up having to buff it off completely... As you can probably imagine this process including the"soaking" time takes incredibly long is frustrating for both the client and myself!

Has anyone got a solution or an explanation as to why this may be happening? It's never happened in any other work place where I've worked with UV gel polish and I'm completely stumped and at my wit's end!

Different brands take different times, what brand are you using?

We use gelish, the manicure company, indigo but there's times it could be on for 20 min and still NO BUDGE! I've never come across this before x

There are a few threads recently about difficulties removing Gelish, you might want to try the search facility for those threads and the recommendations in them

Try using a more course file to file through the topcoat then apply nail wrap.

Or Could you be soaking for a little too long and the gel is re-hardening? x

Is your buffer an old one?
Are you sure your using acetone?

I buffer the top off then I get four small bowls part fill two with hot water and the other two part fill with acrtone and gel polish comes of right away. I don’t like using the foil system as it takes to long and the hot water activates the acetone more.

Hope this helps

I use Gelish :) I find removal better with a light buff of the top coat, rather than a file - that's just me. I also use a heat pack underneath the clients towel to ensure their finger tips remain warm. Cold fingers can effect removal. Perhaps it's a temperature change in your new salon?
I find by the time I have wrapped the last finger, I check on the first again. It is better to check and re-wrap than just wait for a set period of time as it can re-harden. Gelish I also find doesn't crumble AS much as other brands. It needs more of a gentle push off than just a wipe. Is your salon using the correct Gelish lamp?

Latest posts

Back