Shellac/Gellux

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joanna head

Joanna's Beauty Treatments
Reaction score
Hi, I use Gellux which I really like, however I really struggle to get new clients because I don't use "shellac" and it seems unless you state Shellac on advertising, people just don't associate other brands as still being basically the same. So my question is, if I was to get some "Shallac" colours, can I use my Gellux primer and base and top coat, and can it be used under LED lamp?

Sorry, me again! Also I had a new client the other day, I carefully wrapped her existing gels with foil etc and she said when she had her GEL polish removed before, the lady soaked her fingers in a bowl if acetone for 10 mins, I was amazed as not how I was taught,, do others do this for GEL polish removal

Just do a search hon, they'll be loads of info on this already on here but the quick answer, from reading other geeks threads is no, you need to use Shellac products/lamp. And I soaking the fingers would no doubt have the same effect but is more damaging as the skin is sitting in the acetone, rather than just the nails.

If you are going to use a brand, I recommend you use that brand as it was intended- as a system designed and tested to be used together, especially if that is what the manufacturers instruct you to do.
Some brands, such as Gelish, openly advertise that their top and base coats can be used happily in conjunction with other brands. I wouldn't as a personal choice, but that is within the scope of their manufacturer's directions if techs choose to do so.
CND Shellac however, is not a brand that can be used interchangeably. CND instruct that the system must be used together, mostly as it is a different formulation than other gel brands. This includes also using their branded lamp, and not a generic one or another company's gel lamp. It is LED curing, but again, only specifically in the CND LED lamp.

And this is not directed at you- but I'm waiting for the naysayers and the techs who think they know better than the product manufacturers to now come out of the woodwork and disagree :)

Also re: soaking off, I have heard of people soaking off in a bowl, but the vast majority of common sense people use foil wraps or soak off clips, as we are trained x

What do you advertise your Gellux as?
Some people are looking to have shellac but many just want a gel polish and think it's called shellac so you can just explain you use a gel polish called Gellux instead but it is also a long wear manicure

What do you advertise your Gellux as?
Some people are looking to have shellac but many just want a gel polish and think it's called shellac so you can just explain you use a gel polish called Gellux instead but it is also a long wear manicure
Hi, I advertise as a GEL polish and also Gellux, people ask for shellac and as soon as I say I don't do it but do Gellux or GEL polish, they go elsewhere lol, I love Gellux, people round me just don't associate it like shellac, I'm fed up with the flipping word shellac lol

Latest posts

Back