Shellac glitter choices

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lpolky

Reaction score
Hi peeps,

I just wondered if any of you have any ideas what I can use to give clients extra choice around the Xmas period.
Shellac don't have many full glitter nail colours only their limited edition ruby ritz and tinsel toast which I have.

Some of the other brands do some amazing glitter ones,blue,pink,purple, think its like Gelux etc.

I have loose glitter but its so fiddly and the glitter polishes leave your nail smoother.

Does anyone have any ideas or recommend which ones are good that I can use too with my shellac range as don't want to have to buy all new base coats and top coats etc.

Many thanks

http://www.salongeek.com/showthread.php?t=197168

Try these...gorgeous!

I use a tiny brush to apply the glitter straight on the nail then brush it into the shellac. Two layers of top coat and it's perfect! I put paper underneath my clients had then I can just tap the excess glitter off the paper into the pot again xxx

I find doing rockstars with Shellac really easy. You just need one coat of colour, add your glitter, I use clearly pink or mother of pearl over the top then top coat, this should give you a really smooth finish. There are so many different colours of glitters and it gives clients a huge variety x

If you want a good range of glitter to offer your clients I'd go with the rockstars alternative. I do 1 coat of any complementary shellac then glitter but give it a really good brush off to remove the excess. If you top coat twice there really shouldnt be any roughness. I do however, have a separate top coat just for glitters so that I dont contaminate for normal shellac.

I find it really quick and so effective.

Karaxxx

its just practice to do rockstars hun.

as said have a piece of paper underneath so you dont waste glitter!! use a brush to place glitter on nail and really brush over the nail, my brush isnt soft but not too hard either. go over it until smooth and top coat and cure, nails are very smooth and you wouldnt know it was glitter under!

If you do the Rockstars onto the tacky layer you can scrub away at the glitter and only apply one top coat - I never have problems with it not being smooth! It'll save you a lot of money to perfect your Rockstar's rather than buying a new system.

Wow thanks everyone for your comments, yes that's about what I'm doing applying rockstar but I'm not doing 2 coats of top coat so ill try that.

I usually apply one coat and then give it.a light buff. Still says shiney.

I just think the glitter polishes like the ruby ritz etc look neater.

Suppose its just practice :)

L xxx

Wow thanks everyone for your comments, yes that's about what I'm doing applying rockstar but I'm not doing 2 coats of top coat so ill try that.

I usually apply one coat and then give it.a light buff. Still says shiney.

I just think the glitter polishes like the ruby ritz etc look neater.

Suppose its just practice :)

L xxx
Which glitters do you use? Perhaps you need a finer one - it really shouldn't need buffing :)

Yes maybe that's where I'm going wrong.
Just standard glitters from online, hit them to practice really but have done a few clients with it and staff and these are the problems I'm having.

What would you recommend?

xx

as long as you really brush over them (scrub them in) then most glitters will only need one top coat...yes the finer the glitter the easier but ive also got bigger chunkier glitter and still only need one tc. it wasnt like that when i started doing them, i was using 2 topcoats!!

have a play hun xx

Thankyou everyone xx

I was using normal craft glitters and had the same problem of feeling rough however bought one holographic glitter from the fingertips centre and its amazing. Very fine glitter and so sparkly. I wish id bough loads mre now but planning to go back for more colours.x

The best sized glitter is .008 or even better .004
.008 is like fine sand
.004 is like dust

Hth :)

Dont be afraid to use a real scrubing action to rub it on either, so it's nice and flat. I get quite a foil-ey effect with some colours by doing this, and it allows you to brush off all the loose bits.

You could also try a glitter paste and brush that on and then cure! Like Holly 'Fingernailfixer' does for a glitter fade but use it all over the nail. I did this for the first time last night and found it really easy to put the glitter on, I need some practice but I'm sure it's easier on clients than on myself! Have had some lovely comments about it today too :D

What do you mean by scrubbing? With a brush? Please explain! Lol... Thanks x

I use Martha Stewart fine glitters mostly, they are great.

When you apply your glitter to your inhibition layer, get the right amount on to the nail for the coverage you want and literally use a dry gel type brush or similar to scrub it in so that it lays flat and creates that foiled effect

Bellissima have amazing glitters! xxxxxx

Thankyou guys, I've just ordered some 008 glitter so will try that. Think that's where I'm going wrong

This forum is so helpful, thankyou for all your advice xxx

The Martha Stewart ones are lovely BUT they can get slightly discoloured by the time the top coat goes on due to them not being designed for use with nail products, apparently the best ones to use are Nailitz.

I still use Martha Stewarts at the minute but thats because I bought a tonne:)

Latest posts

Back