Shellac & hot showers/baths

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Evening geeks

I have a Shellac client who gets shellac done every two weeks. Sometimes it last 1 1/2 week sometimes 2 weeks.

They peel away from the free edge?

She was telling me she has steaming hot showers and baths, could that be the reason for peeling?

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

Not sure if that would be the problem - my baths are piping hot and my Shellac comes through it ok. Everyone is different tho. Maybe question her a little on what things she may be doing, does she wear gloves when using household cleaning products etc. Usually when you start asking something pops into the conversation that gives you the answer !!

Not sure if that would be the problem - my baths are piping hot and my Shellac comes through it ok. Everyone is different tho. Maybe question her a little on what things she may be doing, does she wear gloves when using household cleaning products etc. Usually when you start asking something pops into the conversation that gives you the answer !!

Apparently she said she always wears gloves, hardly does any house work, kids do most. Wears solar oil all the times.

Her nails are quick hard & thumb is very thick. I seal properly around free edge cuticle etc but every now & then she says they peel off on the edges.

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi I did my shellac 2 weeks ago and they were capped and when removed the tacky layer no colour came off I got in the bath straight away and when I got out they were no longer capped and my margins around the cuticle were larger. This had never happened to me before but i'm sure i've read on here before that it can happen.

i have piping hot baths and this doesnt cause an issue. There is no reason it should.

If peeling is coming from the free edge theres a few things to consider, I find its most commonly clients fiddling or their nails not being as suitable;

Are her nails showing delamination on the free edge? (If the nail comes away the shellac will go with it)
Is she using the edges to pick at things with?
Do her nails bend when they get longer? (bendy nails are less suited to Shellac if they get too long).

I have a client who was getting around 10-12 days when she wasnt using her oil frequently, her nails had delamination on the ends of a couple and it was always those same ones going as her nail peeled.
When she is religious with her oil she finds a massive difference and this doesnt happen-she gets her 2 weeks (as her nails are better hydrated and peel less).
I have just used IBX Repair on her last appointment to help, she has been less great with her oil recently but she's still got no peeling this week even on her usual offending nails- happy days! :)

Also forgot to say mine never peeled just shrank. Other than this once though this has never happened to me.

Latest posts

Back