Shellac to Gelish then Shellac again?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loobylou22

Reaction score
Hi. Like the title says! I used shellac for years and loved it! However when the 18g led lamp came out I fell in love!! So converted to gelish, now I have about 120 polishes and am thinking about going back to shellac. Ha ha ha.
I'm so fed up with having to use 5 x coats sometimes, puckering, shrinkage and I have loads that have gone bitty or fizzed up brishes!! Nightmare!!!
Have anyone of you gone the other way? Iv found lots of posts about shellac to gelish but not gelish to shellac. Never remember any of these problems with shellac.
Thank you. Xxx

I love shellac! I do Gelish also but I have to say that I'm a die hard shellac fan x

I LOVE my Shellac and cant see myself converting, BUT.... I am honest about some of the issues Shellac has & don't think what bugs you with Gelish wont bug you with Shellac tbh...

Ive never used Gelish, but there are many posts saying that Gelish is more hard wearing, and dosn't tend to 'peel' off of clients with less than perfect nails. Shellac users can get round that with a coat of Brisa Smoothing gel underneath, but this is an added cost- and if you had a client that needed it, would they be happy to pay the extra for it when they didn't need too before you converted.

Most of the newer colours don't pucker, but a few do still shrink back.

The pale colours need 3 coats, ive found this with most of the newer collections- the original colours seem to give better coverage in 2 coats but most of the new spring/summer collections take at least 3 to look decent. And my personal biggest bug bear is the size of the bottles! Gelish are bigger, and the colour selection is larger. I don't think Shellac has 120 colours (not counting the discontinued, as you cant get hold of them now anyway!) , but I haven't counted lately. Theres a lack of neons and glitter colours too- so are these popular for you as you can get round it with Lecente products, but this is another extra cost to the client.

I really do love Shellac but it has its issues the same as all the ranges do I spose... I don't think that anything can tick every box unfortunately.

What was drawing you back to Shellac?? xxx

Hi, I am currently in a similar predicament but the opposite way?!

I am currently using shellac and I have every colour that they offer, however, I am finding that some of my natural nail clients are struggling to get two weeks out of it.

I feel that some of them just need some added strength and unfortunately shellac just cannot provide it.

The colours are lovely but I do feel that Gelish offers a brighter colour range.

Minkeybox that is what I was looking for! Thank you. An honest answer. Jodmarie we should just swap. Ha ha. I just love the richness of the shellac, the fact the colour bottles are easy to choose a colour. Gelish are so wishy washy and the fade is horrendous, Iv had to re paint about 5 pops 3 times. I would keep my 18g for a while (if it sets shellac) as I know s2 are really struggling with teething probs which I hope will soon be ironed out. I'm hoping to add vinylux for retail too so that's another reason. However I have not tried all that jazz. Oooh I also remember how AMAZING shellac is to actually paint with, their polish glides on like a dream that anyone can achieve a neat job. Their bristles are straight!! Weird I know but when you do as many sets as I do these things count. Ha ha ha. Also need to work out costungs per service too etc.
The draw back however is yes I do soooo many brights, neons and glitters but no art (hate it) thank you for your replies. Xxx

Hahha that's a great idea! We will swap products and write a review haha! It has been about 2 years since I sold my Gelish kit, I had the original 6g lamp and about 30 colours, I'm sure a lot has changed in that time. The number of coats and the fading does worry me but I know I will start loosing clients if I can't give them something that gives a big more strength and structure to their natural nails. It's a toughy!!

Can you not just float a layer of brisa or lite? I use structure or hard gel for those weaker ladies. Generally most of my clients have good nails because I insist on removing. I don't charge any extra you see. Xx

I use Gelish and OPI..the gelish top and base coat can be used with OPI, the LED lamp cures both, and I find that what I can't find colour wise ( either actual colour or known faders) I can get in OPI..both go on really well and last 2 weeks...and then theres the ACG alternative, which are the same company as Gelish...
OPI also have coloured plastic sleeves on their lids, so you can easily see what colour they are when selecting a bottle..

Perhaps consider these points before swapping to Shellac, at large cost to yourself..? HTH x

Loobylou I am the same! I do all my soak offs for free when they are having a full set. It just allows me to make sure that it is done correctly. I have just used brisa smoothing gel under a set of shellac for a client who has weak bendy nails. I will see if it makes any difference to her.

I am loving the colours in Gelish though [emoji85] I am hoping I can last until the show in October and save, save, save until then!

Hi Tigerlady, I hope you don't mind me saying but I would really check your insurance.

Most companies will insist you use the COMPLETE system so base,colour, top lamp.
The reason I am saying this is because my neighbour recently took legal advise against a salon (she had her nails done there before I moved in) after they salon mixed systems and even though nail harmony said it was okay to use their base and too with OPI, the insurance did not agree!

I'm not being to butt in but wouldn't want the same thing to happen to you! [emoji85]

Your welcome hun! Sometimes its the tiny little things that really drive us insane when we are working with something day in, day out lol!

Oohh, I never knew Gelish was that prone to fading! Pink Shellac shades are notorious for fading abroad (dont think we get enough sun in blighty!) but you can get round this with a bit of glitter, and I don't think the neon pigments fade either. Were the pops you had to redo out in the sun, or is it just something that happens over time?

I know youdidnt mention it in your original post, but how about Gel 2? I know of a lot of Shellac girls that wentover to it and havent looked back. They have a better colour selection, glitters (i think) neons & are quite hard wearing xx

Yes I need to have a go with these pigments. Will be a YouTube evening I think. Yes it's pinks and lilac in gelish. Have looked at other ranges. Very nearly went for lechat perfect match as I love it, but it's the soak off that's made my mind up. Shellac is so fast. Xx

Latest posts

Back