Shellac: which colors next?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gambletroy

Reaction score
Before I begin, I should say, I have read the buyer's guide by California Chick, but my situation is a little different....

First of, I'm just starting my one/woman mobile service so not a lot of cash to spare. Second, my client base is mid-30s and older, so the ladies are looking for mostly darker, muted colors. Third, french is not very popular with Shellac -- those who want french manicures tend to go straight to gel or acrylics.

So.... I have:
Wildfire
Rosebud
Dark Lava
Cocoa
Red Baroness

My questions:
1. Should I bother getting Fedora? It seems so similar to Dark Lava, except that DL has that lovely shimmer. I know that they are different colors, but bearing my budget limitations in mind, I'm thinking maybe I should hold off on buying it until I have more customers.

2. Asphalt or Rubble? I'm thinking Rubble because Asphalt seems to be a little too dark given my clientele, but then Asphalt seems to have more layering possibilities.

3. Zillionaire or Moonlight and Roses? I want to get something that will be clear with a shimmer/glitter. Zillionaire seems to hit the mark with the glitter but then M&R has more layering options? (Or Mother of Pearl? But that seems boring and on the threads here it doesn't seem to be very popular)

4. What about Rock Royalty? Just the name would probably turn off my older ladies, but if it's a nice plum color, then maybe they would like it off the color wheel. Then again, I haven't seen a lot of layering possibilities for it.

I'm leaning towards getting Rubble and Zillionaire but can't think of a third color to get. Any suggestions other than the ones I have listed here?

Fedora is a beautiful colour that I would definitely add to your collection.
In my opinion Rubble and Moonlight and Roses. Rubble is gorgeous and tends to sell well to a range of ages for me anyway. I think Rubble is one of those staple colours that's good to have in your collection.
Moonlight & Roses is one of my favourites, can be worn alone for a fab natural look but gives a bit more bang for your buck than just a completely clear colour and it's also great for layering. It's lovely over Rock Royalty for a slightly pinky shimmery hue, fingernail fixer has lots of layering ideas on her Facebook.
M&R is beautiful in a French as well.

Very difficult I have all the Shellac colours, love them all!! Rubble is by far the most popular just now across lots of ages. Silver VIP Status would look fab over every colour you already have. As far a layering Moonlight & Roses (pink shimmer), Iced Coral (mint shimmer) and Negligee (blue shimmer) would be fab colours for layering over all your colours too. I would definitely go for Rubble and Silver VIP Status xxx My favourite colour of all is Purple Purple!

Oh and I meant to add, Zillionaire is fab too, I love it but don't find it is that popular with my clients.

Oooooh, thanks! So definitely Rubble over Asphalt, and M&R over Zillionaire.

Still need to think of the third. Silver VIP sounds great but then so does Fedora....

The trouble with Iced Coral and Negligee is the blue/green. My clients can't stand blues and greens. Doesn't Purple Purple have a blueish tinge to it to?

Latest posts

Back