Shocked by cheap prices for MINX services!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys, ive enjoyed reading ur replies.. x

And another thanks beacuse you have given me an idea on how to get rid of some designs that i chose that no one seems to like, ive had them for a year now as i just order the popular ones rather than having loads in stock... Do u think it would sound alright if i put an offer on these particular designs? opinions appreciated...x

There's a place literally a few doors down from me charging £10 as an introductory offer for acrylic nails & £18 for toe minx which includes a pedicure!!

They are soooo ridiculously cheap, they make me look expensive. But I always tend to think 'pay peanuts, get monkeys'

I am puzzled about how many sets you can get out of one sheet, tbh. When I have finished doing mine, using a fresh sheet, I am left with plenty of the sizes I didn't need and not enough of what I would require for a second set. I can't make a smaller size larger, either. :irked:

Whilst I'm certainly not going to claim I have the best tootsies in town, they ain't abnormal in size, so how do people manage this, please?

If you aren't buying from an authorised source, you'll be paying out the wazoo per sheet.

RE: People undercutting... people will get what they pay for. Either they are using a Minx knock off and/or not prepping the plate at all and/or are allergic to income.

Alergic to income lol I like that.... or the usual part timer that has another job n likes to undercut everyone for some pocket money

I am puzzled about how many sets you can get out of one sheet, tbh. When I have finished doing mine, using a fresh sheet, I am left with plenty of the sizes I didn't need and not enough of what I would require for a second set. I can't make a smaller size larger, either. :irked:

Whilst I'm certainly not going to claim I have the best tootsies in town, they ain't abnormal in size, so how do people manage this, please?

I can easily get two and sometimes three sets out of a sheet. If I've used the first two largest "toe" sizes, I save the rest for using on hands or on smaller toes (I have quite a few clients with tiny toes). Also, sometimes it's possible to turn a Minx sideways to get the right size. Especially for toes, when you don't need the whole "length" of a strip, I cut it into two or three pieces - I've been able to do a set of toes by using two large Minx for the big toes, and 2-3 smaller strips for the remaining 8 toes.

For my most poular patterns, though, I always have more than one sheet available.

I dont think that those that say minx is unprofitable are necessarily using unauthorised distributors, but I think they are basing it on one sheet of minx per treatment, which changes the figures quite a lot.

Only really when you start working with it and seeing how small most peoples toe nails really are can you grasp just how many treatments can be done from a few sheets of minx.

But I always tend to think 'pay peanuts, get monkeys'

Pmsl.....Thats going to be my new number one saying from now on...love it!!lol..normally mine is "you get what you pay for"....and anyway it depends on the type of clientèle you are marketing yourself towards....

Personally i would question the products used and the expertise of the person performing the treatment...

For example....i am not trained in beauty at all but i certainly would NOT book a facial with someone whos top,state of the art,luxury facial was £20...

Same goes for nails,aside from a special promotion,if someone is charging £18/20 for a full set of French acrylic the first thing that comes into my head is...."wtf are you putting on someones nails to be charging that little??"....the answer is either M.M.A...or you have no business sense whatsoever and are under selling your talent/skill....

Same goes for nails,aside from a special promotion,if someone is charging £18/20 for a full set of French acrylic the first thing that comes into my head is...."wtf are you putting on someones nails to be charging that little??"....the answer is either M.M.A...or you have no business sense whatsoever and are under selling your talent/skill....

I thought of this last week.

I'm the first to admit I should put my prices up - I've not had an increase in my acrylic rate in 3 years, but the economy has hit so many of my clients that I've been holding off (I'm not full time, and I'm not starving as of yet). Nonetheless, my rate is average for the area.

I get this call last week from a young lady who wants to know if I was running any specials on acrylics right now. I told her that I didn't offer a discounted rate, and if she calls around, she'll find my prices are more than fair, and that she will get an excellent set of nails.

She says, "Well, I need them done by Friday, and I've got someone who'll do them for £15, but I heard you were good and wanted to give you first shot".

Oh, gee. Thanks.

I told her "I'm sorry, my prices are firm, but I have to say, for your safety, please check this other place out thouroughly as £15 is much too little to provide a safe, sanitary, competent service. I'd be asking the nail tech about her insurance, and why it is that she's charging so little for a service that normally costs much more".

Her: "Well, she's a good price - I'm sure she knows what she's doing".
And hung up.

I probably pushed a bit, but we are not offering a free service here! When I do a set of nails on someone who's never had prep done before (just file the nails down and whack new one's on again, no dusting, no primer, so prep solutions), and they say "oh, the other girl never did that!", I just want to bang my head on something sharp.

I thought of this last week.

I'm the first to admit I should put my prices up - I've not had an increase in my acrylic rate in 3 years, but the economy has hit so many of my clients that I've been holding off (I'm not full time, and I'm not starving as of yet). Nonetheless, my rate is average for the area.

I get this call last week from a young lady who wants to know if I was running any specials on acrylics right now. I told her that I didn't offer a discounted rate, and if she calls around, she'll find my prices are more than fair, and that she will get an excellent set of nails.

She says, "Well, I need them done by Friday, and I've got someone who'll do them for £15, but I heard you were good and wanted to give you first shot".

Oh, gee. Thanks.

I told her "I'm sorry, my prices are firm, but I have to say, for your safety, please check this other place out thouroughly as £15 is much too little to provide a safe, sanitary, competent service. I'd be asking the nail tech about her insurance, and why it is that she's charging so little for a service that normally costs much more".

Her: "Well, she's a good price - I'm sure she knows what she's doing".
And hung up.

I probably pushed a bit, but we are not offering a free service here! When I do a set of nails on someone who's never had prep done before (just file the nails down and whack new one's on again, no dusting, no primer, so prep solutions), and they say "oh, the other girl never did that!", I just want to bang my head on something sharp.

The cheeky bitch...good for you hun

Let her enjoy her m.m.a ,bacterial infected nails.....she'll be back....then youll have to try so hard to not say "i told you so"..hee hee

Well, the place near me is offering this: 'Special offer,full set of acrylics,White tips,pedicure,eyebrow shape and eyelash tint only £39' !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (The exclamation marks are mine, all mine)

My pedicure alone costs £33. BUT, I refuse to get into a price war as I know we do a good job & use quality products & to be honest, I don't want cheapskate clients , lol. Honestly though, can anybody do a decent job charging so little??

I got told today about a salon charging £30 for a manicure and pedicure.Ok, they import thier staff from Vietnam and only take cash, but hey, who cares if there are illegals being paid slumdog rates and not declaring!

It's beyond me why anybody (legal) would want to charge so little for their time & services. Don't they value themselves at all??? Cos if they don't value themselves, then why should their clients????

(I know I do a lot of freebies in the salon but they're used as promotional activities to get peeps in the salon. Regular clients ALWAYS pay full whack & I'm by no means the cheapest in town)

Latest posts

Back