Shoes in customers homes

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hairstudent

Reaction score
Hi ladies

What are your thoughts if you are a mobile hairdresser about removing you shoes in customers homes.... Obviously alot of people expect this now a days, but having hair around my bare feet is not hygienic and also if I drop my scissors (not that I have) it could be dangerous, what do you do?

I leave mine on-nothing worse than hair on bare feet. The other option would maybe to put a pair of pumps in your bag to put on? If your like me then you'll probably usually work in kitchens anyway so shoes don't matter anyway xx

They are ok with hair on the floor, but not shoes? Bizarre

I dont remove mine!

and have never been asked to....but would say no if I was asked!

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there some kind if infection you can get if hair gets under nails?? I seem to recall something from college about hairdressers not wearing open toed shoes for this reason?? Xx

I dont wear shoes at home always remove them at the door and so do my family. I would also expect anyone visiting my home to remove their shoes and I automatically remove my shoes when entering anyones home with out being asked.
If I was visiting someones home as a hairdresser I would carry a pair of indoor shoes to wear.

I understand that it is not usual in the u.k to remove shoes at the door and I suppose it is a person choice but I consider it rude not too, cant explain why.

I was cutting a friends hair and her 4 yr old came to me and whispered - you're not supposed to have your shoes on in the house!
I whispered back - its ok, i'm allowed to because i'm a hairdresser.

For you salon hairdressers - the whole mobile thing can be a bit wierd, often i'm the one waiting to 'go' not the client and they chat on while i'm thinking - ok, just pay me then!

one client almost jumped at me because i was going to put my kit bag (quite compact + very clean) on her kitchen table ( it was only plasticized wood - i wouldn't of put it on a 'delicate' surface, i know my wood, my husbands a furniture maker).
and the other thing is when they seem totally suprised that they need a chair to sit on and spend 5 minutes searching for a suitable one ( i now have a fold down one in the car as i have cut a clients hair before while she sat on a childs table)

yes, my shoes stay on - shoes are better than my feet after a long day believe me!:Scared:

I have had clients ask me to remove my shoes, which I do to walk to kitchen etc, but I explain I can't cut hair without shoes as it's pretty disgusting standing in someone's hair, that the hair will work it's way into my skin, but not sure about anyone else but I actually can't cut hair barefoot!! If i go upstairs or in their lounge for any reason i take them off. I to expect anyone who enters my house to remove their shoes, but not my hairdresser, or any clients that come to me. It's not so bad now but I used to have a cream carpet in my hallway, then I would expect shoes off, but now I have wood into my kitchen I don't mind.
My old hairdresser had a pull along case and I one rainy day she pulled it across my drive, thro some oil, then along my cream carpet, leaving oily track marks, now that to me was just out right stupid!

Yes I totally agree why would they not mind hair not my shoes, I think I will buy a pair of cheap pumps for my bag and I can pop them on if it becomes a big deal, I have come across this situation several times and its a nightmare.

It is seriously against h&s to cut hair barefoot. Hairs in the skin are really painful and dangerous. Don't do it.

I keep a spare pair of dedicated ballerina pumps in my kit for just this occasion. They are never worn outside. I also have a floor covering so they are never left with hair on the floor either!!!

I keep a spare pair of dedicated ballerina pumps in my kit for just this occasion. They are never worn outside. I also have a floor covering so they are never left with hair on the floor either!!!
I salute you, and feel guilty now! - i used to cover the floor but haven't this time around:o. i may have to rethink my mobile customer service?

I salute you, and feel guilty now! - i used to cover the floor but haven't this time around:o. i may have to rethink my mobile customer service?

I used to cover the floor but then kids and animals became the enemy dropping food, drinks, foot prints all over it, it didn't look nice for the next client, also I had problems getting rid of the hair.

Forgot to say last year in the snow I got some of those blue shoes covers , you know the medical ones, clients were well impressed lol x

You can buy plastic overshows fairly cheaply from builders merchants (we pay £6.00 for a ppack of 100). They look rediculous but do the job.

We issue them to our guys at work as we work in tennanted houses, and have similar issues with them removing footware such as dropping tools and also the possibility of needles being hidden.

I'm interested to know what kind of floor covering people use when mobile hairdressing?

You could always keep a nice clean pair of Crocs in your bag.
They are so comfortable.

:biggrin:

I used to use a large piece of oilcloth fabric to cover the floor, which you then had to fold and tip the hair into the bin, and Lamaur man - you mean to say you don't keep a little pair of ballerina pumps in your bag??:biggrin:

I used to use a large piece of oilcloth fabric to cover the floor, which you then had to fold and tip the hair into the bin, and Lamaur man - you mean to say you don't keep a little pair of ballerina pumps in your bag??:biggrin:

Well usually I wear those glittery high heels just like Dorothy from the wizard of Oz, but to be honest, I don't think it goes down to well with the clients.

:D:D:D:Love:

Latest posts

Back